Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
I have a 700 Mhz G# iBook with a 12 inch screen.

Recently i have been having some hard drive problems. It was bad sectors on the disk. It would try to get past it sometimes but it worked generally most of the time.

But then last night i spilt a good 6 ounces about of water on my iBook right on the keyboard. I immediately forced a shutdown, unplugged the power adapter, and took out the battery. I then dried as much as i could with a paper towel and left the ibook upside down for about 24 hours.

I went to turn it on again with the battery in and the power cord plugged in, and it wont turn on. I get a very dark blue screen for 5 seconds and it turns off. There is no sound and no movement. I can't even boot up from the mac osx install cd.

I'm afraid that i fried the logic board. I will try removing the airport card and the ram and see if it will boot then. Because the ram and airport card are the closest thing right under the key board.

Well, thanks for all your help in reading this.

I would appreciate some responses stating your opinions.

Thank you!!

Julian

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have a 700 Mhz G# iBook with a 12 inch screen.

Recently i have been having some hard drive problems. It was bad sectors on the disk. It would try to get past it sometimes but it worked generally most of the time.

But then last night i spilt a good 6 ounces about of water on my iBook right on the keyboard. I immediately forced a shutdown, unplugged the power adapter, and took out the battery. I then dried as much as i could with a paper towel and left the ibook upside down for about 24 hours.

I went to turn it on again with the battery in and the power cord plugged in, and it wont turn on. I get a very dark blue screen for 5 seconds and it turns off. There is no sound and no movement. I can't even boot up from the mac osx install cd.

I'm afraid that i fried the logic board. I will try removing the airport card and the ram and see if it will boot then. Because the ram and airport card are the closest thing right under the key board.

Well, thanks for all your help in reading this.

I would appreciate some responses stating your opinions.

Thank you!!

Julian

Since you let it dry for a day, the final thing I'd do is have the hard drive replaced and see if you have any luck. Other than that, you probably did fry it. Might be worth a final decision at a Mac store.

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
i just wonder how it could be the hard drive

is it just a huge coinsidence that the hard drive failed at the same time as water spilt on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.