Big Mac Hacked by Mafia?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wordmunger, May 21, 2004.

1. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Found this article on Fast Company.

It looks like it's actually a joke--the Mafia's not that smart--or is it?

2. macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

maybe the mafia themselves are not that smart but they have enough money to hire those that are.

3. macrumors 65816

Well, maybe they are smart enough to hack it, but they aren't smart BECAUSE they DID hack it. They got caught, and relatively quickly I assume which show they are rather dumb. (looks over back)

4. macrumors 65816

Darwin

How did they manage that?

It was a good thing that "Big Mac" was being disassembled, since isn't that how they found this problem?

5. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i think the VA cluster has been dissassembled waiting for the xserve g5's still

6. thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's a joke, people. I'm surprised the Web site didn't give more clues, but if you RTFA--especially the introduction--you see that it's a joke: speculation on what would happen if the Mafia continues to get more sophisticated in what it does.

I'm usually pretty good at detecting satire because I actually write it myself, but this one fooled me for a while. I was considering submitting it to MacBytes as a "news" story.

7. macrumors 65816

Darwin

Yupe it is a joke, it happens to say at the begining "We considered the possibility of other high-tech mob ventures" then it mentions the VA G5s

It had me fooled, and I don't think that was really its purpose :D :eek: