big Macmall powerbook price drops!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by LucasLand, Mar 9, 2002.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

i just got an email from macmall that said that all powerbook g4 667 mhz have dropped in price by $400 big ones! They are selling them for $2394! That's about $600 less than what is currently listed in apple's store. Does this possibly mean that new powerbooks will be announced at macworld tokyo?

2. kidtronix macrumors regular

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

those are the ones without the combo drive. id be surprised if the ones with the combo drive drop at all.

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

whats comming? should i be scared?:eek:

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: What's coming...

My guess is that Apple may have squeezed in one tight DVD-R/CD-RW Superdrive Combo in the thin one inch frame.

I am guessing that the new model will cost around $3000 and will have a much faster processor. Many sources have said that either model will have 733MHz or 867MHz. I will agree.

6. kidtronix macrumors regular

7. ilikeiBook macrumors regular

ilikeiBook

Re: Re: What's coming...

Yeah, a SuperDrive would be so sweet! But it would be hard to fit it in the one inch case without making it heavier than 5.3 pounds.

8. ilikeiBook macrumors regular

ilikeiBook

Don't be scared by a powerbook, they're not running Windows. They're running OSX, and there's nothing scary about that.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Re: Re: What's coming...

True, 5.3 pounds is already a strong weight. But I have heard from other sources that Apple is mixing the Titanium metal cover with other metals, perhaps to make the revision lighter.

10. kidtronix macrumors regular

i wouldn't want a powerbook with a superdrive, not only because i want to pick which dvd writer format i want but also because it will jack up the prices enormously. new gfxcard and ddr memory is way more important imo.

11. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

they had a hard enough drive getting a superdrive in the new imac.... they won't have one in a portable (especially in a tibook) for a long time

there is currently no way to shrink the height of the drives or the length

keep in mind they had a combo in the ibook before they had one in the tibook

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Do we need tissues, paper towels, or a mop and bucket to clean up after???? :D

I just had to post that...

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha ha!!! :D

14. germanknee macrumors member

yep, i think that there's a good chance we'll see powerbook revision at tokyo as well as a 10gb iPod and osx 10.2.

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Not on Combo Units.

Those are the 667's with the DVD not the CDRW/DVD drive. That is why they are selling them so cheap. Notice the CDRW/DVD unit is selling for what Apple sells theirs for less about 5 or 10 bucks. We may see new ones at Tokyo, but I don't think we will see them until MWNY.

16. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Nobody's made a DVDR drive that is small enough, light enough, has low enough power consumption to run in a laptop, and nobody has it as a high priority yet, though it would be nice. While we're dreaming I'd like a 27gb blue laser DVDR combo drive in my gold plated G5 laptop please. Oh well, I guess we'll hav to settle for cheaper, faster, and bigger HD then.

17. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Price Drops

Also...Big price drops in the Apple Edu additionally to the low prices. A Powermac G4 is 1250 plus a 50 dollar rebate. This goes to 100 dollars! It also works for the PowerMac, Old iMac, iBook, and PowerBook.