iPad BIG MISTAKE? Goole user got an ipad retina display 4th gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jeffishere, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2012
    Hi all! Our new ipad just arrived and I've never owned an Apple device...all my email, music, etc. is Google and I have an HP desktop (running Chrome). Did I make a big mistake?
    Can I set up an ipad if I dont use other apple products?
    What do I do?
    Thanks for helping!
  2. macrumors 68000

Nov 15, 2012
    No, you didn't make a mistake. What do you need help with?
  3. macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2012
    You'll be fine if not better! Apple devices are very simple to use. Even if you have never used one before, you will get the hang of it in just a couple of minutes. :) And yes. You can use it even without other Apple devices. You can even download iTunes onto your other computers even though they aren't Macs!
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2009
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jul 13, 2008
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Most Google stuff is available for the iPad, including Google Chrome. Just search for 'Google' in the App Store!
  6. bigboar, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2012
    you will love the ipad. first thing is set up your gmail using exchange. go to settings/mail,contacts then set using exchange. type in m.google.com for your server and enter your email address and password. all your gmail will now b pushed to your ipad..

set up iTunes and then do some searching on importing or syncing contacts,website favorites,etc. I can't remember exactly what I did. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and I was an android user. I decided to get an iPhone 5-liked it so much I then bought an ipad 4-liked it so much I bought a MacBook Pro...lol. I didn't realize what I was missing all those years I was a pc/android user. if someone would have told me a year ago I was gonna be an iOS/osx lover I would have laughed at them. what I found out is apple stuff just simply works......
  7. macrumors 68000

Nov 15, 2012
  8. macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I always felt that the default Mail.app was very good in handling Gmail but the new Google Gmail (updated is actually more accurate) is awesome and allows you to open links in Chrome instead of Safari, which is nice.

If you want your Gmail contacts synced to the iPad you will have to set up your Gmail account as an Exchange account. All you need to have is your username (email address) and password and the server is m.google.com.

Go to Settings>>>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>>>Add Account and you'll see one of the options is Exchange.

On the last screen it will give you a choice of what too sync. By default mail, contacts and calendar are turned on. If you decide to us Google's Gmail app then just turn mail off.

Good luck and enjoy your new iPad :)
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2012
    thanks for the advice

Thanks all!
    my worry is that since i use google for everything, I may have made a mistake getting an apple product. but I will try your advice this weekend (I need to set up a wireless WIFI here at home...dont know how yet) and see how well the ipad works with gmail, google calendar, google maps, etc.

What are the most useful apps? What is best for video chat? Skype? For recording voice memos?
  10. macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2012
    If you purchased from Apple online you could try it and return it back within 14 days if not happy for any reasons. This is one of the benefit of buying an Apple product but be warned very hard to return it back.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2010
    Dude, you upgraded your Subaru to a BMW M3 :D
  12. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Skype works wonderfully on the iPad. You can search the App Store for voice memo apps and you don't need to worry about silly stuff like malware, viruses, trojans or any other crap that Google lets into their ecosystem.