Big networking problems with Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dagless, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ok im now this bloody thing is trying my patience. and the worse thing is nobody knows what to do!

right.

before Tiger i could see all the computers on my network. but now in my Network folder thing all i get is 'Library' and 'Servers'. no Workgroup or anything.

also i cant get an internet connection on my Xbox. im using Airport to get on the internet (works fine on the PB. only thing that IS working) and im sharing it to my Xbox via ethernet.

my routers IP is 192.168.1.1, as always. and im using Auto DHCP to connect. my sharing IP is 192.168.2.1 and my Xbox is 192.168.2.3. i can however connect to my Xbox via FTP which is cool, and it communicates with my PB in return. but PB cannot see any other computer.

Even today at university, me and a mate set up a Computer-to-Computer wireless network to transfer work across and it wouldn't connect. he could see my drop box but nothing on my side.

What has gone wrong? something is seriously wrong here. it was all working fine with Panther too :confused: help! please?

EDIT: if it helps; running network troubleshooter all the little light bulbs turn green, and Workgroups pops up in my Finder but goes away again a second or 2 later. :(

2. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

What is your mask?
    Do you want the your computer to be on a different subnet?

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

no i want it on the same subnet. im sure thats 255.255.255.0 for us.

another thing; computers can connect to this machine with no problems. but i just cant connect to them.

4. forthebrave macrumors regular

I have sort of a similar problem.... I recently moved to Japan and got hooked up with FIBER. The thing is, for some reason, my IP add. is always different when i start up my computer. Thats fine, but trying to hook my XBOX up is crazy!!!! I had to enter the PPoE stuff in and for some reason I can't get my router to work anymore. How do you hook up your router ( using xbox ). When I had DSL, i would just plug in my router and connect the cables and everything was automatic. Different with Fiber. Since i can't use my router, I have to manually disconnect my cable from my comp. and then connect from my Xbox. Doing this takes awhile because my IP add. always changes so my XBOX doesn't always hook up to LIVE. I have to unplug my MODEM like 5 times until I can hook up to XBOX LIVE. Hard to explain my situation... if anyone can help.......... thanks!

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Im taking steps now to reinstall Tiger. if this dosnt work then i'll probably go back to Panther. i have too. Networking is a very important thing for me.

its gotten so bad i cant even connect my PowerBook to anything else with any connection! let this be a lesson to anyone wanting to use SharePoints. there is a dark side, i still believe that app is to blame for all this.

i forget, can i reinstall 10.4 over 10.4.1? or will i have to erase Panther or whatever?

suppose ill find out soon enough though.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm not going to bother trying to explain how a subnet mask works, but if you're set up using 255.255.255.0 and the router's IP is 192.168.1.1, that means the subnet consists of everything in the range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. 192.168.2.whatever is on a separate subnet, and you'd need another router to bridge those. Not sure how this setup possibly worked before, but that might have something to do with it. Give your other devices 192.168.1.x IPs and everything should work itself out. Also make sure you have the appropriate services turned on under the Sharing preference pane.

7. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Your mac and xbox are on the same subnet, which is why they can see each other. However, your router is on a diffrent subnet which is why you cannot connect to the Internet through it.

However, I don't know why you wouldn't see your friend computer when you do Computer-to-Computer with the airport.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'd guess it's the gateway or router address. Have you tried "manually" setting up and changing the IP address to something like 10.10.0.2xx and entering the Router number 10.10.0.1?
    X