Big Ol Tiger (10.4) Thread

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaron128, Jul 29, 2004.

1. aaron128 macrumors member

So I haven't seen any threads around the web where people write in questions to Tiger users and get responses/screenshots. I know there's one in this forum, but it's pretty disorganized and rambling. So here goes:

1) Does the Finder refresh the contents of windows in the background when files are added/removed by another application?

2) Does Safari have an option to always ask for a Save location when a file is downloaded? (Yeah, I can right-click and Save as but places like Versiontracker that doesn't work because it forwards you through 50 links before it gets to the actual file).

That's all I can think of right now...

-Aaron

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Regarding #2, there is a workaround in Panther. Option-click the download link - even if you're forwarded several times before the download starts, Safari will get the correct file name (and it will always download what you clicked on - even if the link points to a HTML page, a QuickTime movie, an MP3, whatever).

3. aaron128 thread starter macrumors member

Um...not working for me on VersionTracker. It just downloads the html page... am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
    Aaron

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No you aren't - it's VersionTracker's fault because of their strange downloading system. When you try option-clicking, it just downloads the HTML page, as you noted - because VT uses "delayed downloads" and doesn't have direct links to the files, the option-click trick fails to work. Oh well...

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

In regards to question one, yes/no.

Safari in Panther updates as does Tiger.
    Text Edit updates in both and iTunes doesn't in either. The behavior of the two seems the same in this aspect.

Attached Files:

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I would say no, because if I'm in the terminal and I type "mkdir Tiger" a floder will not appear on the desktop until I click on the desktop.

Wes, how did you manage to make a movie out that?

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

9. aaron128 thread starter macrumors member

::cries:::

He probably used Snapz Pro X

Ok, I tried MacUpdate which is prettier than VT (however you have to hit tab more than once to get to the search field because it has a login at the top of the page)...BUT option clicking just downloads the file, it doesn't bring up a Save As dialog. So does Tiger Safari include auto-Save As functionality?

Thanks for the video Wes.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

11. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I'd like to hear some stuff about QuickTime in Tiger. Is it updated (past 6.5.1)? What about the new h.264 (AVC-mpg4 pt10) codec? If it's at your disposal, what kind bitrates (how low) can you get when encoding full-res DV without too much degradation.

12. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Yes there is a new version and it looks sleeker if you asked me, I'll take a few pictures later, but sadly I have no DV to encode.

14. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

What's the latest word?

AND what about updating the modified-date when a file is CHANGED? Does Tiger do that yet?

The following will drive me to the bottle if they don't fix it:

1. Sort a folder by date.

2. Open a file, modify it, and close it.

3. Double-click it to make more changes.

OOPS! The FIRST click makes the Finder update, so the file you were clicking on skitters to the top of the list. The SECOND click registers then on some OTHER file... and it IS taken as a double-click, so the wrong file opens! (Better hope it's not a similar file from the same project--you could do some real harm changing the wrong file.)

At the very least, the double-click should trigger the file you clicked FIRST, not second.

But really, the Finder should just update live like OS 9 did. So even without activating Finder first, the files are already sorted right.

And yes, the same issue happens if you've added a file to the folder. That too can change the position of what you're trying to double-click.

Please tell me Tiger has fixed this :) I sort everything by date-modified and get caught by this all the time in Panther.