Big Problem with WoW!

Discussion in 'Games' started by SilversunStreak, Dec 3, 2004.

1. SilversunStreak macrumors member

SilversunStreak

I was wondering if anyone out there is having problems with WoW on their machine. The problems for me first started at the charachter creation screen. It would constantly quit. Finally, when I created a character I wanted, I got to play the game but the second I entered the world it quit on me and has done so 6 times in a row! I re-set my Pram, but it didn't help. I have a dual 867 G4 desktop. Any ideas guys? :confused:

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Maybe something got messed up during installation. I would delete your WoW folder, and all the pref files it created. Make sure you empty your trash, and then reinstall the game. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

3. SilversunStreak thread starter macrumors member

SilversunStreak

Thnx

Thnx, I'm trying that now. I'll tell you if it works. (crosses fingers)

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well technically, your machine doesn't meet the requirements... which include a 933 mhz G4. I would think that you'd be close enough to fudge it... but it's something to think about, especially if no other game or program is behaving badly for you. How are your graphics/RAM?

5. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

well, considering people have g5s that are running WoW poorly, i'd say that fudging is probably a bad idea for this game, as even the minimum requirements seem too low.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

But the bad performance is mostly caused by less-than-perfect integration of mac hardware/WoW software, so I think that even though he is below requirements, it should play okay.

scem0

7. Koree macrumors 6502

Hey, what is bad preformance anyway?

Sorta opinionated.

But my G5 gets 25 fps (pretty sad considedring...) outside in huge places. The graphics are all set up to max, 1280 x 1024 rez. How much better do they run on Windoze machines? Btw i think i need more ram... i only have 512.

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

SilversunStreak isn't complaining about poor frame rates, he is complaing that the WoW application keeps quiting/crashing before he even gets to play. I don't think being a few MHz short of the system specs would cause that.

SilversunStreak, did a reinstall help?

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, take your current frame rates, multiply by about 2.5 to get the peformance of an equivalent PC, then divide the price of your G5 by about 2.5 to get the price of the equivalent PC.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Blizzard acknowledges performance problems:

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=10542

Apple's Software Engineers and Blizzard will be most likely working on fixing this soon enough.

Odd how all of the Blizzard games are suffering performance hits with OpenGL. Someone is screwing up somewhere. :confused: I'd wish both companies would put more effort in fixing up Diablo II, WarCraft III, and now WoW, but I think they're doing the best they can.

11. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Blizzard has a good track record so I have faith the performance will increase dramatically. The difference between the initial release and the current patches of War III are like night and day. Give them time to work with it. I'm sure it will run acceptably on the ibook I've decided to get after Christmas is over. And I am looking forward to it deeply. FFXI was too much of a time sink for my tastes, and focused on grouping too much. You had to have specific classes of people in your party or you were going nowhere fast. WOW looks to be awesome for the causual MMORPG'er like myself.

12. altair macrumors regular

Psh, show me the pc you can get that would run WoW at 2.5 times the performance for 2.5 times less money and ill buy it!! No serriously....i was lookin for a pc today so i can play Halflife 2 and most decent ones are still costing 1600-2500.

And if you tell me to just make one, gimme links to the parts and i will :p

13. applekid macrumors 68020

ZipZoomFly.com and NewEgg.com.

Find the parts you want, put it together, done.

Suit yourself though.

14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I've actually been considering for awhile making a gaming rig for HL 2 since I'm not super happy with gaming on my powermac. You can make a really nice rig for around $1,200. $350 shuttle case + $250 Athlon 64 3500 (939 pin) + $400 NVIDIA GeForce GT 256 meg version + $100 512 meg RAM + $80 hard drive + $50 DVD burner. That's $1180 + usually free shipping and no tax from a lot of places, and just buy an OEM version of Windows. This isn't meant to be a flame war, I love macs dearly and would go insane without using OS X day to day, but using OS X day to day for gaming can make someone go crazy.

15. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

not really since people get fine performance out of older machines than a 933. just because the processor says g5 and it's 64 bit, makes ZERO difference if there is no code taking advantage of it.

this is not a first person shooter. this is not a game where you will ever get, or need, 100+ fps. performance depends more on your 1. connection 2. amount of ram and finally 3. your processor than on any graphics card. until people come to their senses (ever?) this game will always run "poorly" in comparison. so you know, WoW doesn't fare any better on the PC side :p.

back to topic. you have a corrupt installation, start over.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

First of all, yeah, get more RAM, that's prolly your #1 problem. 1 gig should be plenty for WoW alone, more if you keep a lot of other apps open. Fortunately that's a cheap and easy fix nowadays. I have a dual 2.0 G5 with original Radeon 9600 Pro and I think the game runs great. I get a pretty steady 25-40 fps at 1024x768 and medium settings. No complaints at all with the performance, it's smooth and looks great. I'm curious if you have an Nvidia 6800, people seem to be having all kinds of performance problems with those cards and WoW...I believe the general consensus is that it's a driver issue that NVidia needs to address.

After adding a bit of RAM, I'd drop your settings down a little bit. With my card the settings (apart from resolution) actually make very little difference in performance, but that might not be the case with other graphics cards/drivers. For now, try dropping res. to 1280x960 or 1024x768 and turn off trilinear filtering. Yes, there are still some issues that Blizzard/NVidea/ATI/Apple need to work out in regards to WoW, but I find the performance quite acceptable for now. Also be aware that there are still some network lag aspects they're working on that may look like hardware performance problems but really aren't.

EDIT: Turn off Vertical Sync if you aren't using an LCD display, I haven't found it necessary at all on a CRT.

17. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I think BLizzard rushed the mac side of things. as a beta tester we were promised better fps that i havnt seen.

18. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Also dont forget all macs but the power mac like have crap for a graphic card so that does hurt them majorly in looks deparment

19. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

From my experience with Blizzard, the games suck on a mac for unexplainable reasons. War III wouldn't run smoothly on my Quicksilver 733 even with the lowest settings. The game itself would run ok, but scrolling on the screen was jerky as hell and made the game pretty much unplayable. It finally worked ok once I got my G5. ;P

I also think Aspyr is making some pretty bad ports too.. Seems like their games need a mac with double the kick the required PCs.

20. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Glenda Adams of Aspyr had some words about this at IMG forums here You can scroll down later in the thread, if I remember correctly she adds more info in a later post.

Also Ryan Gordon (Mac Unreal Tournament 2004) aka Icculus also comments on similar issues about 2/3 the way through on an interview I did with him here

Regarding RAM, in most games in my experience 1G RAM seems to be the sweet spot of most improvement. Past there, FPS improvements simply don't exist or are very hard to detect (G4s and G5s alike). I remember seeing several articles to this effect at Rob-ART's www.barefeats.com benchmarking website.

21. starstreak macrumors 6502

buying a laptop

Hey guys, I was thinking about having a mac to play with while I'm at work. I'm looking at the 12.1 new apple ibook (1.2Ghz) or a 12.1in powerbook. I mainly would use it to troubleshoot or play games on while on break.

I've gotten into WOW and want to know how well it will play on the low end apple notebook.

Right now I use a 15in,centrino 1.7,128 Gforce 5750 PC notebook. so its not fair compairing it to that, but it weighs over 9lbs. I want something small, that's a Apple (I need training on a Apple for work) and can play games. Any help?

Main problems I see is the IBOOK is 32mb vid ram and a 9200ati, and the powerbook is a 64mb 5200nvidia, both of which are very old cards compaired to whats in PC laptops nowadays. Are they both capable of showing all the newest graphics? Albit slow I would guess. But is there enought improvements to warrent going from $999 to $1599 powerbook?

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think your initial suspicions are correct: it should be playable, but don't expect spectacular performance. You'll probably have to drop the settings down and I imagine you'll see some glitches, especially with the 32 MB of VRAM and slow hard drive. You may have need to even drop the resolution down, which isn't ideal on a notebook because of the relatively-poor resolution scaling on an LCD, though my guess is it'll still be playable at the screen's native resolution. One thing I definitely recommend doing is upgrading the RAM to at least 768 MB. Then if you have money leftover, upgrading the hard drive to a 7200 rpm model is fantastic. I put a Hitachi 7K60 in my PowerBook and never regretted it.

23. starstreak macrumors 6502

THe main thing is being able to play something like WOW at the native resolution 800x600. I would probably upgrade the ram the first chance I get as 256 is rediculous to be putting in any notebooks.

But is it worth spending $500 more just to well, pretty much, get the better video card. And if its a yes, then I'm stuch with the next dellimema and that is the powerbook is supposed to be upgraded? I would just hate it if I paid $1599 only for the new powerbook to cost the same and come with a g5.

24. wcalderini macrumors member

Performance...and something geeky cool.

Just my 2 cents. WOW runs fine on my PB. I don't know how to/or care to count actual frame rates, but it is just as playable on my PB 15 1.5GHZ G4, 80GB 5200RPM 1GRAM 128MB ATI, as it is on my Dell 2.0 GHZ P4 w/128 ATI Radeo SE w 1GB Ram. The only REAL difference I see is in the shaders.
    On the Dell I get softer shadows and more "shades" for a smoother "movie-like" look. I'm sure that once the drivers are updated (a known issue explained in the game manual) that even this difference will disappear. Now the geeky cool part. I showed the game to my daughter (12) the other night and, of course being the pure video crack that this game is, she became completely addicted, so I had to get a version for her to play. After creating a seperate account for her, (ugh...no family plan at Blizzard) and purchasing a wireless router for their Dell, I decided to try something else first because we were REAL impatient to play. Using my trusty t-mobile T610 w/bluetooth and internet connect, I was actually able to dial in through my cell phone/laptop connection, connect, and actually play.
    even though the cell reception at thier house is horrible, despite a little choppiness here and there, it was completely playable and MUCH FUN! I was able to appear in character to guide her through her first quests. So now I know that I can play virtually ANYWHERE with cell reception and I only expect the experience to get better with a stronger signal, and since this game does NOT need to access the CD drive I should be able to get about 2-3 hours of good playing time from virtually anywhere.
    I don't know....sigh....sometimes I think I get a little carried away.
    Thanks Bliz, you got my Biz.
    BC

25. SilversunStreak thread starter macrumors member

SilversunStreak

Finally Back!

Well, I reinstalled the game and it plays perfectly, no glitches! It's taken me so long to get back to you guys because I've been addicted to the game sooo much. On my dual 867 I get about 15-20 fps in crouded areas and 20-25 fps in buildings. I crave high frame rates, but it's wierd. Once I got past the slight stutter It didn't bother me at all any more. The game is perfectly playable (no lag either, I connected to a west coast server :p ) and on top of that I have the resolution at 1024 and graphics turned up except for trilinear filtering and line of sight. LOVE THIS GAME!!