big question: 667MHz 1GB RAM or 800MHz 512MB RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by cb911, Apr 30, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm just wondering which TiBook to get. i'll be using stuff like Photoshop, flash, illustrator etc. i'll also be doing a fair bit of 3D work as well, Maya, cinema 4D etc.
    the 667MHz TiBook with 1GB RAM and 800MHz with 512MB RAM are my options, i've managed to narrow it down that much. so should i speed for RAM and get the 667MHz or is speed more important? thanks for your help.:)

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

You can upgrade the RAM at a later date, but not the processor, so spend you money on the processor now, and buy some RAM from a third party later.

3. iGav macrumors G3

The 800 definitely, as important as RAM is the 800 will have a longer usable life than the 667....

My rev A 500 has 512 and it motors along quite nicely and I frequently do broadcast quality post production graphics, with no problem..

Plus you can always get that extra 512 later down the line..... where as the only way to upgrade that 667 is to lay down more cash and buy the 800....

The 800 is a far better machine........ especially from a speed point of view.... now get writing that letter to Santa saying you want a 512 module.....:p

4. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

The 800Mhz model uses both RAM slots for 512Mb of RAM. Make sure that you order the TiBook with just have 1 512Mb Module otherwise you will be stuck later.

5. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

good points people. that's settled it. i'll get the 800MHz and i'll make sure that i get one 512MB chip of RAM, so then i'll have another slot spare for later.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Definately get the speed now rather than memory. Memory can easily be replaced or upgraded even by someone with tech skills as pathetic as mine.

7. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

you can always add more RAM.

You could always get the 800, and if you think you need more memory, you could send it to me and I'll send you my 667 with 1GB of RAM.

:D :D :D

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Will they let you down-grade to a 128MB stick? If that knocks off $150 or $200, you may be able to buy an after-market 512MB stick for about that much. That way, you'll have 640MB for the same price as you started with.

Someone else with more time should do the math.

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I agree. It will retain more value too.

If you're looking at a relatively same cost level between the 667 w/1GB and 800w/512, then the same investment in the 800 will last longer than the 667.

Just look at the Pismos, the 500 is worth WAY more than the 400.

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Look at the Apple Store... you have three options for RAM, two 256MB sticks, one 512MB stick, or two 512MB sticks. You cannot get it (at least via the online order) with less.

I haven't decided what I will do when I get my new TiBook (have one person at work that is very interested and will let me know early next week). I know that I will NOT have less then 512MB, either in one or two chips. I can also trade the two 256MB chips in and get a 512MB for about $80+/- locally. I can then (later) get an additional 512MB to bring me back up to 1GB of RAM.

I will probably get the standard 800MHz model, and tweak it later as I need to.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have found that the technically inclined enjoy tweaking things. Be they computers or some of the finer things in life. :D

It makes things more interesting to say the least. :D

13. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i could get the lowest amout of RAM possible and use third party RAM, it would be a little bit cheaper. but does third party RAM have any sort of warranty? and is it reliable? i always say you get what you pay for.

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

cb911, as long as where you get it guarantee's that it will work with that TiBook it should be ok. I suggest getting memory that is 222, and PC133 (obviously). If you have a local place that sells memory, see if you can trade one, or both, of the Apple 256MB chips towards a single 512MB. Then you can add whatever you need later, unless you are going to pay the extra $100 and get the single from Apple.

Bottom line, make sure they stand behind the memory for life (of the computer, not just for how long you have it).

15. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

Where is the best place to buy ram?

Hey guys, If I scoop up one of the new 800mhz Tibooks, where is the best place to buy ram? When I got my Pizmo, 2 years ago, I purchased my ram at 18004memory.com, and it seemed to work fine, and I recall that it was pretty inexpensive.

Any suggestions, would be helpful

'Beaver

16. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Where is the best place to buy ram?

I have had wonderful dealings with OWC in the past with memory and all sorts of parts. I trust their quality and lifetime warranty.

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

is there any other place that i can trade two 256mb chips in for one 512 chip? i would like to do this and pay the difference. if so please tell me. thanks.

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Personally, I did that with Mohawk Memory (www.mohawkmem.com) and just paid the difference. I don't know if that is something they do for many people, or just me (since I have dropped more then a few $$ there over the past two years). Check them online, give them a call and see what they say. Worst that could happen is they say no. Send me a pm and I will give you some 411 that might help you even more.

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

alright thanks. i will do that...then send you a pm.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

looking good

The Apple Store that I will be going to, has plenty of the TiBook 800MHz models. Once I have money in hand from the sale of my 500MHz model, I am shooting up there to get one. I can do dual pay (check and cc).

I will know more tomorrow as to when I will have mine, at least it will be before the weekend, and not have to pay shipping, or sales tax. :p

21. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

Sales tax?

Hey AlphaTech, forgive my ignorance, but how do you get out of paying sales tax?

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Sales tax?

I drive about 45 miles to the Apple Store in Salem, NH. :D I get to leave with the stuff, and no sales tax. :D To hell with the forms muahahahahahahaa