Big Retailers Begin Rolling Out iBeacon Trials

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As Apple rolls out its iBeacon technology across its Retail Stores and investigates using it to enable mobile payments, a number of large retailers are testing the technology in their establishments.

Today, Shopkick announced it would be starting an iBeacon trial at 100 American Eagle stores in the U.S. This follows announcement earlier this month that InMarket would introduce iBeacons to more than 200 Safeway and Giant Eagle grocery stores in a number of markets across the country.

[​IMG]
    Companies introducing iBeacons seem to understand the appeal of the devices, but it remains to be seen how consumers will respond and if they will download apps for individual stores -- a necessity for the iBeacons to have any effect. Shopkick previously performed a retail trial of iBeacons in two Macy's locations.

If the larger American Eagle trial is successful, Shopkick could introduce the technology to its other retail partners including Best Buy, Crate & Barrel, JCPenney, Old Navy, Sports Authority, Target and more.

Article Link: Big Retailers Begin Rolling Out iBeacon Trials

2. macrumors 6502a

Unless one app for every store comes along, I hardly think this will catch on. Better yet, make it an OS level feature you can turn on or off.

3. macrumors 6502a

clukas

I think iBeacons have a future in navigation maybe more than retail only. Im sure well be seeing iBeacons coming up at places such as airports, helping guide users to to their gates. I think too much emphasis is being places on retail, well be seeing this technology come up in many creative ways.

4. macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

That's just what I want a bunch of alerts popping up when I walk through stores. :rolleyes:

5. macrumors newbie

The beginning of the end for paper based money... :confused:

6. macrumors 6502

DanielSw

That began long ago. So what? Paper money is more convenient than precious metals. Electronic transactions are more convenient than paper money.

----------

Then don't install the apps. Simple.

7. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

You would have to download an app for every store. With the 16GB on space on an iPhone, that will take up too much room and people will just delete the apps.

8. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

One-app-per-store is silly. Apple will need a single, centralized app where stores can create their own customized view when the customer enters the store. Otherwise this will probably flop.

9. macrumors 68020

Implying these apps cant be a few mb each.

Implying you cant make a folder and throw them all in.

10. macrumors 68020

Taz Mangus

Apple could do something like they do with Passbook, add iBeacon cards for the retailers you care about.

11. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Absolutely.

12. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I went to an Apple store to see it in action with their store app and it didn't do anything.

13. macrumors 6502

One trouble with Apple's iBeacon technology is that it currently takes up to four minutes to find a beacon that you're next to. Therefore, in many cases, walking by a store isn't going to activate the beacon. In addition, the beacons are not that accurate, so it's difficult to tell which department you're in. Combined with the long interval between updates, the most you can really hope for is that you get an update for some department you're close to within four minutes of walking into a store. It's difficult to understand how that's going to be useful to shoppers.

14. macrumors 68040

iSee

So many stories about iBeacons.
    I'm not that excited to have intrusive shopping apps.

I mean, I can see how something like this could be used to make shopping better, of course, but I suspect it will mainly be used to try to push me into additional/extra purchases.

15. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Personally what I would like to see is something that can guide me to what I'm looking for in a store, rather than having to hunt down an employee for directions, which can be an arduous task. Home Depot, I'm looking at you. :(

16. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Or just delete one mediocre game.

17. macrumors 68000

The Home Depot iPhone app can already do that. It can recognize when you're in a store. You can then enter the item you are looking for in a store-specific menu, and it tells you the shelf number.

18. macrumors 65816

I really thought that bag was a pile of trash.

19. macrumors 68020

ME TOO! Oh my God! cant' stop laughing! I didn't want to say anything... but since you said it.. :D:D

20. macrumors 68030

Same here. When I shop I don't want to be bothered and only ask for help if I can't find what I am looking for.

If like another poster mentions it takes 4 minutes for iBeacon to get recognized,
    forget it.

Not everything in shopping needs a technological solution, although it would be great if the iBeacon tells you: It's cheaper at XYZ store:)

21. macrumors regular

where can I download a iBeaconBlocker App

I really don't want more annoying ads
    especially walking past shops I'll never go into in the first place

:mad:

22. macrumors member

Hmm, slide up under iOS 7, click the Bluetooth icon to disable it, reverse these steps when you leave the shopping center :)

23. macrumors 65816

It's going to be interesting to see iBeacons evolve.

I think Apple needs to create an app for iBeacons that lists all the participating companies. Then, the user should be able to opt in/out on a retailer by retailer basis right from that app.

Chances are, if I walk into a store, I'm going to walk right past the sign that says "Download our app and use iBeacons today!" because I have to take out my phone, go to the App Store, search for the app, and put in my password (iPhone 5).

All this to get repeat notifications when I walk past the same area of the store multiple times? I don't think so. That's another glaring problem with iBeacons that will need to be addressed.

24. macrumors 68000

I've tested iBeacon for myself and found it quite accurate to less then a few feet, if that. That was just using a developers version.

The beacon is already active before you even get within range, it also depends on if you have the correct app for the store installed and configured.

25. macrumors newbie

I wonder...

I wonder if Target will have an Ibeacon App!:eek:

Those guys in Eastern Europe must be licking their chops!