BIG Serious competition for Apples musicstore

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ilben77, May 23, 2003.

1. ilben77 macrumors newbie

Yes you read it right, a new site launched recently like apples musicstore it is completely legal.

It's called Puretunes and is based in spain. It is not only great news for us Europeans but for everybody because they are waaaaaaayyyyy cheaper that apples musicstore.
    Yep and just to try they offer 25 downloads for free!!!
    they also have a great collection.
    The site does not look as slick as musicstore but they seem to have it all.
    files are in standard mp3 format 128kb and up without DRM!!!

Go check it out if you don't believe it. But the site can be very busy cause they are receiving major traffic.
    Well this could be the end of Jobs overprized little shop. Did I already mention that it is A LOT CHEAPER.

http://www.puretunes.com/

2. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

That depends if Artists give their ok. Remember that iTunes is actually condoned by the Artists whose music is up for download. So all the music on iTunes is promoted by artists.

I still think iTunes should go international. Maybe they'd sign international artists?

3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

It's great, except that it's not legal. :)

They have their own interpretation of the law. :rolleyes:

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I think that site is not going to last very long once the RIAA gets on them. I mean, they are not licensed at all by the RIAA, or any organization for that matter in the United States. I mean honestly. I like how they write, "we are fulling condoned by the Spanish...." augh. Anyway, it seems like not all that great a deal. I mean 8 hours on dialup for 3.99, how many songs can dialup users do? Maybe 24? True its a good deal, but I would sure hate to be some pushover who just paid for a 1 year subscription of like 160 USD, and then find out 1 week later the RIAA is shutting em down.

just my $0.02.

tazo

'1'

5. ilben77 thread starter macrumors newbie

who would want to download songs with a dial-up connection anyway?

I don't know how long they will last, but I do hope they can somehow outsmart the RIAA. We'll see what happens.
    I would not sign up for a year though :)
    But I did get the 25 songs for free :D

But anyway I still think Apple's (and mainly the music industries) solution is overprized, and I sure don't want to buy inferior sound quality (compared to cd's) songs with DRM imbedded in the file.
    For me that is a ripp off.
    By the way I could'nt even if I wanted to cause I live in europe:rolleyes:

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....the whole thing is a "loophole" with the copyright laws there. The artists will never see a penny from any sales through this site....so while it may be "legal" on a technicality it certainly is not "moral" (whatever that means). It's like you are paying for a bootleg copy instead of downloading freely (and illegally) through a p2p network.....oh yeah!

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

How about people who cannot afford HSI? I use dialup, even though I do a lot of web surfing. I like music and like the idea of the iTMS, despite my 'dial up connection'. your rash generalization ben that anyone without a HS-connection would want to download music is extremely rude, seeing as dialup connections are still the majority of internet connections I believe.

-tazo

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

the thing is that a dialup is much too slow to d/l a 3-10mb MP3/AAC file in a reasonable amount of time (<5 minutes, give or take a few more). even apple says:
    (yeah, the keyword is recommended, but they're serious about that)
    i myself have used dialup to download music and whatnot, but when high speed connections (ie dsl, cable, t1, t3) cannot handle 4+ users listening to music (although that might be due to the way the protocol was designed) and iTMS song d/l times are sometimes longer than the length of the song, you know that dialup is not going to be fast enough and might even be considered insane.

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I understand that it is not exactly convenient to download a song in 10-15 min. but if spending 25 dollars at the iTMS is any indication, dialup does not equate to useless. I had cable for about 3 months, it was great, but then I realized that a teen with no job has to work his ass off to scrape up enough chores to amount to half a cable bill.

10. ilben77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if in the US people get charged by their phone company for using dial up (besides the accaount i mean). but in Europe you have to pay the phone company an additional local call cost per minute, so downloading a song would end up being a good bit more expensive than the 0.99 cents. Thats what I meant, when I said "who would want to use dial up"

11. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

I use dialup (and there are no phone charges as long as there's a local access #) to download music. It's inconvenient, but it's not worth the extra 40$ a month for cable, 'specially since cable tends to get a lot slower in the evenings.
    I don't mind spending 15min or so away from the computer while a file downloads. gives me an excuse to stop abusing my eyes:D

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

then don't use cable in the evenings :p
    i'm happy with my überfast DSL but since i'm not the only one using it, the download speed never gets close to the 5mbits that covad or something or other said it was. 15 minutes! i get pissed when the developer tools take that long to download! but perhaps dsl is the reason why i need thicker and thicker glasses every month or so :rolleyes: :) :p :D