Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Hi y'all

There's a method for showing a word or a telephone number, etc., in big letters across the screen (so someone on the other side of the room can see it). Does anyone know the keystroke? Or is it from an application? I read it a long time ago in The Missing Manual but can't see it now. I don't mean the Universal Access zoom function, BTW.

Thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
What you might be thinking of is in Address Book. Right click on any number and choose "Large Type".

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
That's cool. That 'trick' reminds me why it's worth the while to hang around reading macrumors.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Yes, that was it. Shame, I thought it was for text. Thanks.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
jsw said:
What you might be thinking of is in Address Book. Right click on any number and choose "Large Type".

Wow. That's so incredibly subtle and handy that I'd never have thought about the reasonings behind it.

Amazing that someone'd take the time to consider that when designing Address Book. Love it.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
More versatile, using Quicksilver.

In Quicksilver, you can do this with any text. Activate Quicksilver and hit the period. It will give you a text box to type or paste something in and then throws it on the screen plenty big. Pretty easy too, if you use Quicksilver anyway, just control-space then period and start typing.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Simon Liquid said:
In Quicksilver, you can do this with any text. Activate Quicksilver and hit the period. It will give you a text box to type or paste something in and then throws it on the screen plenty big. Pretty easy too, if you use Quicksilver anyway, just control-space then period and start typing.

Excellent. Thanks a million.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.