BIG text on the screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrSmith, Oct 7, 2006.

1. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Hi y'all

There's a method for showing a word or a telephone number, etc., in big letters across the screen (so someone on the other side of the room can see it). Does anyone know the keystroke? Or is it from an application? I read it a long time ago in The Missing Manual but can't see it now. I don't mean the Universal Access zoom function, BTW.

Thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What you might be thinking of is in Address Book. Right click on any number and choose "Large Type".

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That's cool. That 'trick' reminds me why it's worth the while to hang around reading macrumors.

4. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yes, that was it. Shame, I thought it was for text. Thanks.

5. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Wow. That's so incredibly subtle and handy that I'd never have thought about the reasonings behind it.

Amazing that someone'd take the time to consider that when designing Address Book. Love it.

6. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

More versatile, using Quicksilver.

In Quicksilver, you can do this with any text. Activate Quicksilver and hit the period. It will give you a text box to type or paste something in and then throws it on the screen plenty big. Pretty easy too, if you use Quicksilver anyway, just control-space then period and start typing.

7. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Excellent. Thanks a million.