Big whole in my wallet.....what to do, what to do, what to do.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacZealot, Aug 19, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Well, I've over $500 saved up and a big chunk of that's going to my new Sony video camera I plan to buy. My birthday's soon, and after that and a little more savings, I'll probably be close to $500 again. What to do, what to do, what to do:

1) Buy a used PowerBook 12" from eBay. I've found them to be pretty inexpensive. I'm thinking about getting a laptop so I can put the video on my trips somewhere on the go.

2) Save a little longer for a MacBook. The only reason I'd get one over a PowerBook is the camera and maybe the Intel.

3) Get a Nokia 770. I found this on the Nokia USA site, and it's $359. Hmm... It'd be nice for Wifi around the house and on the go, I guess, but nothing else really.

4) Get a prepaid Sidekick. I am a kid, and although they're hated by a lot of the older set, I'd love one. Though I am switching to T-Mobile postpaid, as part of my compromise with my dad, I have to get a global phone I can lend to my siblings when they go abroad. It's still about $30 per month ($1 per day, unlimited use), which would come out of my pocket, as well as the Sidekick.

What to do, what to do, what to do..........
  2. andy89 macrumors 6502

May 22, 2005
    Folkestone, England
    I wouldn't get the nokia, I've been told its slow and it sucks:eek:
  3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Hang in there for the MacBook :p You know it makes sense!
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    #1 and #2 make the most sense since it involves getting a laptop, but the best thing to do is to not buy anything at all until you're certain what you want.
  5. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2006
    there is a whole in your.....ability to write the word hole instead of whole...?

yeah it sounded better in my head.
  6. gman71882 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    if you ask for the sidekick for your birthday, will you not get any money to buy a macbook?
    The sidekick is the cheapest item by $50 although still an expensive one... but it would serve the whole family since you would be lending it. So that would make the best gift, then you could use your money for a macbook.

If your doing video editing, the 12" powerbook will be very underwhelming.
    All of Apples new video editing software is MUCH quicker on the Intel machines.
  7. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    Get the MacBook. It'll last you far longer than the used PowerBook. It doesn't sound like you'd have much use for the Nokia, really.

("hole", not "whole").

Incidentally, I hope your siblings pay for the phone calls they make when they take *your* phone abroad.
  8. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Yeah, something looked wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

My parents usually get me gifts and my grandparents give me a load od dough.

The prepaid Sidekick is $400 but I'm wondering if the price will drop this fall. I recall the SKII doing so. My parents are getting me either a RAZR or PEBL which both are quad band and international phones. That'll be paid by my parents and my family will use it abroad. The SK3 would be paid all by myself and would primarily be used for organisation, IM, web, text, and a great way to impress the people at school. The SK3 is only triband, but I just e-mailed T-Mobile and they said that it could be used internationally, but I don't know how.

A laptop would be used pretty much only on vacations and doing the internet routine if I don't want to be at my desk. It seemed like my family was constantly going to the internet room to write a short e-mail on our trip to southeast Asia. I wouldn't necessarily start editing on the road, but I could and place it on my external HDD.
  9. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Mac Book 2.0 refurbs are running $1099.00

With full factory warranty, you can't lose.

Just be patient.
  10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    I say get a macbook. A nice shiny white one or if you can save a little more a very classy cool black one :)
  11. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    MacBook...or PowerBook (depending on what kind, if its fast i'd say go for it, as i think they look better)
  12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    PowerBooks are nice machines. Go with your feelings.
  13. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Try buying some stocks, and hanging on the them for 5 years (like maybe AAPL).

If you need to blow it, squeek $500 more from grandma, and go for the macbook.
  14. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

May 31, 2006
    bad advice^ go for some cheap mutual funds if you go down that road, if you really want a great phone go for a nokia n70 or something of the likes (tmobile doesnt sell it here look for an importer.)
  15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I think you should take none of the above and hold out alot longer, money is much more fun when you have lots of it to spend.
  16. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    I clicked on the topic thinking that the whole stood for: "Whole bunch of money in my wallet that I need to give away 16th poster!"

Here's hoping! :D
  17. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2006
    Haha, clever :). To the OP, I would lean more toward a laptop. as for either powerbook or macbook, well, depends on the money. if you get a macbook, maybe save up some more to get RevB, but a powerbook isn't a bad idea either.
  18. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    Well I have a few ideas. I've found that if my dad and I both get prepaid Sidekicks, it's $1/day/SK, or $30/month for each SK. This means $60 a month, and $0.15 a minute, which we don't talk on the phone too much. This is opposed to two postpaid phones on 700 shared minutes for $60/month plus data plans. With the prepaid way, we both get cool phones and the internet and IM; my dad wants to check his stocks as well as use his company's billing site on the go and I just want to IM easily. This will take place of the Nokia 770 or a Palm TX.

As for the portables, I don't think it'd be worth it to save for a MacBook. The only use for it would be internet on the go, which I could get with a Sidekick, and video importing while travelling, which I might get a PowerBook later on if I decide to do so.

By the way, I have a question about GSM. Will coverage abroad not be as good without the 900 MHz band?
  19. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    You seem to be a VERY light computer user. I think a 12 inch iBook would do prefetly for you, and for your wallet. Every one may say the Macbook has more power, but you seem to want to import movies and surf the web, really a 12 inch iBook would be perfect. However, I do have a 15 inch powerbook on sale for 550 bucks if your interested! Lol.
  20. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    You're a teenager. Spend it on girls and Natty Light.
  21. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm a pretty heavy computer user on my iMac. I film a lot of footage from my trips and my brother's band and bring them back to Final Cut Express. A laptop would be used to import the stuff into my external hard disk and maybe edit on the plane. Why a PowerBook? They're pretty much the same price as an iBook, but faster, so why not?

That's part of the reasoning behind a SK. It's become a social lifeline and chicks dig them! :D
  22. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    why not an ibook? i agree, the difference is only about 100 bucks, but you don't seem to have much more then that. so, for what you need, get an ibook.
  23. meanpeoplesuck macrumors member

Aug 14, 2006
    Sidekicks haven't taken off over here in Europe yet. Probablly because they're damn fugly! :eek: Looks like a squashed fat psp mixed with a tamagochi... haha
  24. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    If you think a sidekick is going to pick up ladies you're doing your research in the wrong library.
  25. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    No, that was more of a joke, althought it is impressive to have a Sidekick here.