Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Good suggestion on starting a new thread there Christian -- I had been toying with the idea of a dual hex-core (the Xeons are still really expensive) but will probably go GPU for my next purchase now...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
As for GPU ... There is only one project with 8900 around; I don't see any new core 17 in the pipeline. The recent new beta projects are core 15.
PG should get a better transparency in place; giving is some planning orientation.

That's said: Right now I also would go with a 780Ti, but how long there will be good QRB projects ? :confused:

Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Damn that is insane to think that a Mac Pro is out. Tell them to work on OpenCL :cool:

I think it should work doing it this way:

1 - Buy new Mac Pro
2 - Use new Mac Pro to do your work faster
3 - Use the extra money you earn to build a 64-core system for F@H :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
A heated discussion over here.
Meanwhile Vijay Pande gave some comments too. As for request for a roadmap he indicate that later 2014 another adjustment might be made. :eek:

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
rwh202, that looks bad on your side. Did you switched off or is that the mix of WU you get ? Or both ?

A bit of both - mostly getting core15 and even the amd were getting occasional core16 (2k ppd - woot!), so shut down 6 gpu for Christmas - at least it means I can close the windows now!
I'll see how things are going in the new year, but not really worth having the 780s etc folding at the moment.
I was going to get a pair of 780ti, but can now see that money going into the macpro pot - oh well!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
A bit of both - mostly getting core15 and even the amd were getting occasional core16 (2k ppd - woot!), so shut down 6 gpu for Christmas - at least it means I can close the windows now!
I'll see how things are going in the new year, but not really worth having the 780s etc folding at the moment.
I was going to get a pair of 780ti, but can now see that money going into the macpro pot - oh well!

so you getting a new mac pro? :cool:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
There is a request for help on SMP folding (non BA); as a spinoff from the BA discussion .

If you have any idle resources please run or keep running SMP WU; not for points, for science.
I restarted by two idle CPU slot on GPU rigs. Nothing powerful but still fold a bit.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=16&t=25411&start=150#p254210

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=55&t=25444

Hi Christian -- that's a good idea; I'll start up my CPUs on my GPU boxes. Now that I have power again. repairs cost as much as a good 4P rig :(

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
And here is the evidence: something is wrong when I end up on second place :eek:

image.jpg

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
While our team internal ranking is "repaired" the exodus at FAH continues. Some [H]igh-performer are on strike/leave. Due to decreased satisfaction with communication behavior from PG. Same for the overall number of computer taking in the project: less and less. I hope it will stop and reverse at least a bit.

So sad :(

Long-term folder: was that ever similar ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.