biggest computer flop for apple?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 29, 2002.

?

biggest apple flop?

1. original ibook special edition...didn't offer dvd

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. current 14" inch ibook...too heavy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. cube

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. flower power imac

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  5. dalmation imac

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  6. grape, lime or strawberry 333 mhz imacs

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  7. 17" lcd imac...too expensive for a consumer machine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. sage and ruby imacs

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. current crt imac...too outdated for today

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  10. emac...drop the crt already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

which computer was apple's least successful machine recently?

even though i like the cube a lot, it just flopped big time and was too expensive when it was first introduced

i wish apple would bring back a cube of some sort

also, the original ibook se graphite was very sexy, but for $200 dollars more one got a different color and only a 66 mhz boost in speed...and no dvd

the firewire ibooks which came out later in indigo, graphite, and lime really hit the spot then

but of course, nothing compares to the current 12" dual usb ibooks at 4.9 pounds! i don't have one of those but i think it will be my next mac:D

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Dalmation iMac... it has to have been less sold than even the Cube or that ugly Flower Power iMac...

irmongoose

3. job macrumors 68040

job

I would have thought that the Flower Power iMac would have sold less units...

ah well...

that whole series was butt ugly..

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Even though I thought those "fashion" iMacs were pretty bad, I voted the Cube as the biggest flop. That thing was so friggin' cool...but it was VERY overpriced. If they could have produced it & sold it for $400 less then it maybe would have been successful...that & make it upgradable! ;)

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

the cube was great, but that power switch problem killed them. I remember walking up to one of the new ones in compusa, touching the mouse, and the thing turned off he he

6. vniow macrumors G4

As much as I love my future Cube, I voted for it. It was way overpriced and in a really wierd position in the product lineup.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I love cubes. THey were extremely over-priced though... I voted for the FP iMac, it was 'butt-ugly'.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Cube.

The Flower Power and Dalmation were actually decent consumer packages, just a terrible color. Apple should have stuck all along with solid colors in the iMacs. The Cube was cool, but I voted for it because if you look at the company's initial dollar investment in the product and the net return it was probably the worst flop in the companies history.

By the way...why did you list the eMac on this. It seems to me that the eMac has been quite popular and many suggest that it has and will continue to steal iMac customers offering the same features and performance for much less.

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

flower power imac...even tho i thought diff color schemes were really nice (like multi-color)..there was rumors of a hexpee color imac (pc users were saying that lol)

i liked the sage n ruby color imacs tho lol

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey, why is everyone toasting the FlowerPower? Have you seen one in person? It is really friggin cool. me and the MRS have one. Sure it is going to go to Mini, but it is solid, and looks cool. Always a topic of conversation.

11. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

In the past decade i would have thought that few products could rival the failure of the cube to meet expectations. It was a marvelous piece of engineering, hampered by an inept strategy from apple.

The cube get's my vote.

12. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

I agree - Flower Power to the people... It's so long ago now I feel no more shame attached to the fact I own one. Let the wounds heal.
    jx

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't know what to vote for. The poll seems to want opinion on which machine sold most poorly. That seems to be purely a matter of sales numbers. Not much to have an opinion on.

If the poll were which machine, regarless of sales, do you think is the worst flop by Apple for whatever reason, then I'd vote for the original iMac or the original toilet seat iBook. Those machines, in my opinion, certainly did a lot to separate Apple from the hordes of beige boxes, but they also made a lot of the blue suit wearing business types think Apple was for kiddies.

I personally really like the new machines. They look professional (even the consumer models).

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I voted for the Dalmatian, at least the flower power had a little more retro appeal to it.

D