Biggest drawback of the 11" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kgarchar, Dec 11, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    Seriously. This machine has been nothing short of amazing. Only problem I've had is the shifting of the FN keys to the right. Going back and forth between my iMac and MBA throws me off because I'll go to turn the volume down and end up muting it on my iMac. Every time I go to mute it on my iMac I skip to the next song. Then I go to mute something on the MBA and I just turn it down/hit eject.

Really though, I've had no complaints aside from that. By far the best machine I've ever owned. I absolutely love it.
  2. macrumors regular

Dec 3, 2009
    PNW Puget Sound
    I haven't really discovered any drawbacks with my MBA 11". I watched 'Burn Notice' on it last night and was happy with the screen's colors, etc.

I'm pretty impressed with it sofar! ;) :apple:
  3. macrumors 68020

Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
  4. macrumors 68000

Jun 20, 2007
    Mmm.. Gabrielle Anwar. Something about her. :)
  5. macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2004
  6. macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2007
    That's a tough one..
    i'd say the lack of a backlit keyboard (when compared to a MBP)
  7. macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2010
    i know not so many people complain about this but my biggest problem is you can't use the Apple Remote...yes no sensor.i need it for my presentations.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I've found one potential design flaw on my new 11.6" MBA... when I'm typing on it (as I am right now), if I don't keep my right hand rotated slightly counter-clockwise, the "ball" of my hand (that part of the palm near the thumb) will occasionally click the trackpad, and depending on where the mouse pointer is, it can cause problems. I usually have this problem on Windows machines because of their crappy trackpad design, but I didn't expect it on this one.

I really do like this little thing. I love how fast it is and the fact that I can do all my work from something barely larger than my iPad. I got quite a few stares and comments I could overhear when I opened the box the first time the other night while sitting at the table in the restaurant. :)

Oh, one I think I really DO like is the keyboard itself. I think it has a better feel than my MBP!!

9. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
    Bay Area
    I kinda had similar problems (in between MBP <-> MBA)
    I've found KeyRemap4MacBook indispensable for this, and many other things.
    plus once you start to think up the ways to customize it to your needs/uses - the guy there, Takayama Fumihiko is extremely helpful!

E.g. I flip Fn keys, so I could no longer use ⌃⌥⏏ (⏏ is with F12 on MBA), he helped me with that in no time - by releasing new version, no less :D
    I wish Steve Jobs could learn from this guy a bit :confused:
  10. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
    Bay Area
    But speaking of drawbacks, I can name few as well:
    - no keyboard backlight
    - no IR/Remote (for presentations and managing my alarm clock)
    - no "free" heating for my fingers and laps...
  11. macrumors 65816

Apr 29, 2005
    Lots of drawbacks...

- Causes me to have weaker muscles because it doesn't weigh enough.
    - I can't find a use for my big laptop backpack, MBA is too small, gets lost in there.
    - I no longer get a concentration break while waiting for big applications to start up.
    - I've lost my excuse for why I can't work on the go... that my laptop is (was) too heavy, big, cumbersome.

I'm not sure if I can deal with these drawbacks. May have to go back to my MBP.
  12. macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2010

can you not yet touch-type?

seriously, how many of you folks out there who complain about the lack of back-lit keyboard need to look as you type?
  13. macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2004
    I don't doubt. I can't think of a better place than a restaurant to unbox your toys.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2009
    The only drawback is that the LCD is much lower color gamut than the MBP/MB plastic unibody, but the screen still has sharp contrast and solid colors.
  15. macrumors 68030

Apr 13, 2010
    Bedfordshire, UK
    None of them flattering, presumably...
  16. macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Backlit Backshplit

I went from a 13" Rev C Air to a 11" Air and found I didn't really miss the backlit keyboard. They made the keyboard letters reflective, so it uses the light from the screen to light the keys enough that they'd be recognizable. I can type very comfortably in complete darkness.