Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Originally posted by NNO-Stephen
I have the 30GB 3G iPod. I dont have a problem with battery life as long as I charge it every night (which is what the doc is for anyway... connected to my stereo... brilliant!

anyway, I have no problems wiht the 8 hours as it lives up to it. it's very nice indeed, and trust me, I use the thing CONSTANTLY and it works out about right.

I only charge my iPod every 8-10 days and use it every weekday for about 90 minutes on my ways to work and back home. So even then: no probs!

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
That thing looks like someone took an old black Sony Walkman, shrunk it a bit, and stuck in a photo-negatived iPod display. The menu navigation and the scrolling feature look pretty much the same, the buttons are in nearly the same position as the first two iPod versions, and the font looks familiar too. It does function as a hard drive, as well, even though it uses USB 2.0. Only the scroll wheel is missing, and I agree that this constitutes a weakness.

So yes, as long as it's borrowing quite that much from the iPod, it have been nice of them to give it at least a brief mention. Even better for their purposes if they'd approached it from a "we have all that AND recording AND an equalizer" direction.

The real weakness of the thing is that they couldn't possibly integrate it with even the major PC music management programs as well as the iPod goes with iTunes....an advantage that the Windows crowd can soon choose to share with us Mac users.

A note on battery life....I consistently get 10 hours out of my Rev. B iPod, but then I run it all the way down before recharging. I've actually run my iPod for a half an hour after all the bars are gone from the battery display! It's like having another gallon in the tank after the gas light goes on. :cool:

MacRETARD

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by voicegy
It's pretty.
It has the Philips name, which I respect.
That's about it. For the rest of it:
It has a funny "curve" to it (bows out at the center ever so slightly...I don't approve). It looks to be thicker than the iPod. It has too many buttons. The interface font is fugly. It's in beta.

Oh, and the reason we all get so upset when the "competition" sees how good things CAN be (such as Apple design) and attempts to "ape" it: well, it's simple We're sick of seeing "our" company performing costly R & D and doing it right the first time for other companies that don't have a clue, and getting those things out to market making it look as if it hadn't been done before and cutting into our precious profit. For instance, I don't know HOW many times I've corrected PC users when they ask if Apple machines are "wireless, like their laptops are?" WE FRIGGIN' DID IT YEARS AGO, WHERE WERE YOU?! (probably fiddling around with their PC, adding crap there, getting rid of crap there) *sigh*

Apple didnt invent the mp3 player, hard drive mp3 player, or small size mp3 player. They refined some pre-existing concepts into a great package.

Apple did not invent 802.11b or any other wireless spec. They were not the first to market with any wireless technology. You could get 802.11 on pcs long before Apple decided to make it an Apple standard. The same applies to 802.11g. Again all Apple did was take existing technology and refine it and make it easier to use.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Re: Biggest iPod rip-off

Originally posted by Veldek
Look here:

http://www.audio.philips.com/betatest_HDD100.asp

I just watched a television broadcast about this thing and it resembles the iPod so much, I can't believe they "stole" all the technology and trademarked it for themselves!

In fact, it has quite some more features than the iPod. Direct recording e.g. would have been a nice feature on the ipod - i recently had to buy a dictating recorder, despite having an ipod - thats another 60bucks down the drain...
Look at the equalizer - iPod doesn't have it. It has the settings of itunes - but nothing you can fiddle around on the go.
IPod also doesnt recognize WMA audio afaik... another Point for phillips.
The Phillips seems to have a bigger screen and no scrollwheel - besides, it's black, so completely opposite of the Ipod ;)
The only thing that looks remotely like the iPod is the Menu - but then, all mp3 players with a slightly larger display have this kind of menu...
item1
item2
item3
item4

Thinking about it, almost all phones, mobiles especially have the same menu (stolen from nokia btw.)

Where's the Problem? It's not even remotely the same thing. It doesn't even have firewire, but USB2 - probably it's not compatible with the mac...

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Is the battery life of the new iPods this bad? I have a 2G 10GB iPod and have no problem with the advertised 10 hours.

It's 8 hours.
8 hours is ok if you use it in every day live and connect it every evening to recharge.

it's completely useless if you're travelling.

not to mention that it easiely stays on if your not carefull enough to lock the controls. I've been cought more than once with a spent battery with my new 15gig iPod.
You can't even replace Batteries on it, you need to find a Power plug... find one in a tent...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I only charge my iPod every 8-10 days and use it every weekday for about 90 minutes on my ways to work and back home. So even then: no probs!

So your iPod has a battery life of 12 to 15 hours? :confused:

Anyway, only Apple would lower the battery life of a product from 10 hours to 8 hours, instead of increase the battery life. I guess that in a time where my portable CD player can get 80 hours of battery life, I'm a bit spoiled, but I would like to get more than 8 hours. Even the 10 hours of the old iPod would be better.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by MacRETARD
Apple didnt invent the mp3 player, hard drive mp3 player, or small size mp3 player. They refined some pre-existing concepts into a great package.

Apple did not invent 802.11b or any other wireless spec. They were not the first to market with any wireless technology. You could get 802.11 on pcs long before Apple decided to make it an Apple standard. The same applies to 802.11g. Again all Apple did was take existing technology and refine it and make it easier to use.

I know that. :rolleyes: It's just that when Apple takes the concepts and makes a great package, that's when it takes off and makes a "statement." Then, later on, the PC consumer notices it being done and thinks "Ah, another innovative idea...I'm so glad I'm not an Apple person...those machines are just toys anyway, I've got WIRELESS that's so cool of Microsoft to do!" I'm talking about the "man on the street" who doesn't hang around sites like this, or first time computer buyers. It's a "consumer conception" that I'm talking about here.

I know I'm not giving the best example, but it's difficult for me to put in actual terms. I think some will understand what I'm attempting to put across.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
visor said:
The only thing that looks remotely like the iPod is the Menu - but then, all mp3 players with a slightly larger display have this kind of menu...
item1
item2
item3
item4

Thinking about it, almost all phones, mobiles especially have the same menu (stolen from nokia btw.)

And that's exactly what I meant. The menu is a ripoff of the iPod? Did they invent the menu? The iPod's menu is fairly standard issue in terms of layout, similar to Nokia's. I had an old electronic organizer with that type of menu layout as well.

And if iPod implements more of the features that their competitors are adding, is Apple ripping someone off? I doubt I'd ever hear that from you guys.... Its like some of you have tunnel vision or something.

If someone has a great idea that works brilliantly, expand on it. Why go in a completely different direction if someone found a way that works? Going out and doing it completely your own way and ignoring what actually works well is pure ego. There's only so many ways that an HDD based mp3 player could work, and there's only one that works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.