Biiiiigg Problem!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rumbach, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #1
    Last night my twin G4 (867 MDD) lost power in a blackout, and now when I try to restart it, the power switch will glow when I depress the button, but fade as soon as I let off - no start up sound, no fan kicking in.

    Is my logic board fried?

    I thought maybe I should reset the PMU switch on the board, but wanted to know if I needed to take the battery out first.

    Anyone else have this problem?

    I tried leaving it unplugged overnight and retrying, but same results...

    help, please?!
     
  2. macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #2
    Try the button. Press it ONCE and do NOT hold it. And I don't think you need to take out the battery. Check the knowledge base just in case.
     
  3. macrumors 68020

    G4scott

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2002
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #3
    If it still doesn't work, there's a 'hard reset' button somewhere on the mobo. That might work. I'm pretty sure someone around here has a pic of what this button looks like. It's small, and round, on a metal square thing...
     
  4. macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2001
    Location:
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    #4
    There was an extensive discussion on this issue at MacInTouch right after the big East Coast US blackout.

    The concensus, if memory servers, was that it's probably not permanantly broken. Resetting the motherboard is one option, or you could do the complete reset of removing the battery, unplugging the computer, then pressing the power button till it stops glowing, then putting the battery back in and pushing the motherboard reset button.

    My memory on that procedure may be faulty, though (you might not have to remove the battery, and there might've been an additional power manager reset step at startup involving Open Firmware), so I'd recommend going to MacInTouch and reading through their archives.

    Just unplugging the computer for a few hours might fix it, too.
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    FuzzyBallz

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Location:
    Home of Al-Qaida
    #5
    Or it could just be a busted PSU.
     
  6. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2003
    #6
    As a somewhat experianced overclocker (mostly PCs, only once on a Mac) I'm a firm believer in that unless it has smoke coming out of it :D a hard reset will work. Obviously this isn't always true, but most of the time it's just the trick.

    Do the reset.
     
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #7
    Fixed it!

    It just required a PMU reset.

    Took about 3 minutes, once I had
    the proper schematics locating the switch.

    thanks for the replies!

    Andy
     

Share This Page