Bike Computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by evolutioneight, Apr 18, 2005.

1. evolutioneight macrumors member

Ok I did a search of the forums and couldn't find anything and I've googled a bit and still couldn't find anything. Does anyone know of a bike (cycling) computer that works with the mac? I know there are a few high end ones but they all seem to work only on windows. If someone could point me in the right direction towards a company that makes one, or someone who does drivers and software for the ones that only work with windows out of the box, that would be great.

2. cemorris macrumors regular

I have been waiting for Polar to get their act together, but it may never happen. There are not even freeware/shareware apps for it. Perhaps I need to start on one.

Anyway... Cat Eye seems to be the most Mac friendly at this point.

Cat Eye

Another Cat Eye

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That is so cool. I had no idea such things existed. I need to start riding again. I used to ride 100+ miles a week until my knee informed that wasn't such a good idea. In the past few years it's been more like 0 miles a week.

4. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Knee problems on a bike are generally related to either a misadjusted cleat (twisting the leg into an uncomfortable position), and/or riding in too high a gear. Get those fixed and you should be golden!

When I got new bike shoes at Christmas, first thing I did was put cleats on them and go for a ride. Within 1/2 block by right leg hurt so much I had to get off the bike. It took a half-dozen adjustments until I found the right spot again.

5. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

My god, that thing's more complicated than my powerbook!

Pretty cool :)

I'd probably run into a tree just trying to read my speed off it though :(

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My bike has clipless pedals, but they have a good amount of float and I was always careful to adjust the bike to the most (knee) comfortable position possible. I also would tend to ride in gears on the low side, also aware than high gears cause more strain. I was just overdoing it. I injured my knees in a variety of sports and they just couldn't handle that much strain. I think the last week I rode to work 4 of 5 days (like 60 miles) went for a 20-25 mile ride on Saturday, and a 105 mile ride on Sunday.

Thanks for the suggestions though. It's always good to be reminded of the things I should be mindful of.

7. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

That would definitely do it too! :)

Overdoing is something I get to think about, I currently only ride ~ 125km a week but Ultimate season is starting, so I need to watch out...

8. evolutioneight thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks cemorris.. I wasn't aware the cateyes worked with MacOS. And I definitely agree with you that it would be nice if the Polars worked. If you ever code something up please let us all know!

9. wjones macrumors member

Bike computers :)

As long as there's a topic for it here... I might as well ask-

I've just started riding and was looking at entry level bike computers... What does interfacing with your mac do for you? Keep up with your data?.. and show you cool charts?
    Sounds cool... but I don't know that I can justify the price! What's a good brand and/or model of computer that's between 20 and 50 bucks? What do ya'll suggest?

-Walton

10. evolutioneight thread starter macrumors member

From my understanding the Bike computers that do interface with PCs give you data of your heart rate, calories consumption, speed, distance etc. However from what I've been learning so far, the ones that interface with mac are pretty lame, and also are very expensive. I dont think there are any bike computers in the 20-50$ price range that interface with either windows or mac. I think its because its a very immature technology as of right now, and in a few years it will become more advanced/better features and implementation along with lower prices. Also as previously stated I really hope polar or someone makes mac drivers for their devices.