Bike got nicked - bit of a rant.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by geese, Nov 14, 2006.

1. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Please give me some sympathy, or an iTunes song code as my beloved Specialized Hardrock got stolen tonight.

Locked it outside CityLit college in Holborn. Forgot to bring my heavy Squire lock, so had to use my secondery cable lock. 2 hours later it was gone.

i had this bike for 4 years (since 2001) and it was a great run-about once i put some Mavic x517s on- commuted over 100 miles a week though London. Plus its retro black and white cruiser paintwork looked lovable, if a bike could be called that.

I've fond memories of overrtaking lycra-lout nobheads on Whitechapel Road, whilst they bounced along on their squeaky clean £800 Cannondale full-suspension set-up. And of weaving through mazes bendy-buses with their clueless drivers chatting on their mobiles.

I never did get the hang of doing those bunnny-hops like I did as a wee 12 year old on a Raleigh Burner. Nor have i ever managed to do a wheelie. I mean EVER! Its something i must do successfully before i'm 30.

Now its gone. :(

Moral of the story is - USE A DECENT LOCK! CHANCE IS A POOR SUBSTITUTE!

On the flip side, looks like i'm buying a new trusty stead. Marin Muirwoods, or Ridgeback Nemesis?

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about your bike getting stolen geese. :(

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Geez, I'm sorry. I got my bike stolen a few years back, and since then I've come to accept it as an inevitability (unfortunately). I hope you can somehow get it back, or, at the very least, that your new bike brings you as many years of happiness as this last one did.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sensitive about leaving my bike locked anywhere. I had stopped in downtown Orlando one day and after searching quite a while, I found a bike rack. It had two locks and no bikes. I then decided to keep my bike with me.

If people actually wanted transportation, it wouldn't be so bad but if they're just going to sell it or add it to their collection, I'd hope that they'd be robbed as well.

Hopefully, you can find something great to replace it.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Sorry about our stolen bike. My neighbors bike was stolen two months ago, my Cannondale is parked close to his but I keep it secured with a New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock. Unfortunately it's a very heavy lock and can only secure the frame, weels are vulnerable.

6. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

I went to mechanic today to have my brakes done... $229.. not bad... I am cool with that.. $200 dollars is chump change.... 2 hours later a get a call.. the mechanic gives me a list of **** that is wrong with the car... $1017.00...

Ug...

whatever :D

normaly i ride my bike anyway...

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I hope those weren't your bike brakes.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That stinks, amazing how a $200 repair can become a $1,000+ repair in no time at a garage. :rolleyes: :(

9. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I got my bike stolen a few months ago (a used Trek Navigator that I go for $75), so I know how you feel. I was so pissed off, and still am to this day since I haven't been able to find another bike (that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars:rolleyes: ). When I get a new bike I will definately be using a bigger lock though!

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Fear of it being stolen is why I didn't bring my good bike to London with me. I went out and bought the cheapest rigid bike available and stuck some slicks on it, there's nothing wrong with it for just commuting around town.

11. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

If you're cautious over security, you'll be fine. get a good lock, and make sure everything is bolted down. I want to get a half decent bike as I do over 100 miles a week on the thing - a nice bike would be a bonus.

I reckon i'll be getting a 2006 Marin Muirwoods - they dont look particularly flash, but they're pretty solid bikes and they use steel frames- a lovely rarity!

Anyone with any other bike suggestions?

12. gropo macrumors member

gropo

Really sorry to hear about it.

I'd be devastated if my '74 Raleigh Pro MarkIV was stolen. And I live in NYC. A good Kryptonite lock is mandatory, totally concur.

For a replacement:

I'd suggest finding a nice old rigid frame and build it/have it built up single speed... Even with a flip-flop hub so you can make the upgrade to fixed gear. London's nice and relatively flat. Losing the weight of all those gears and 2nd brake honestly makes a ton of difference. Single speeds aren't nearly the theft magnets that modern MTB's are. And you're in the land of Milk and Raleigh from where I'm sitting.

Final Thought... Multi Speed = Windows. Fixed Gear = Mac. (the interface just gets the f$ck out of the way and lets you ride)

13. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

I took my old ass truck to the same mechanic today... to have the oil changed.. I got a call mid-day..

"sir, ummmm we broke the key in your ignition" :eek:

LOL....

14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

So sorry to hear that....

Had an almost new Schwinn (back when they made good bikes) stolen when I was in college. These guys were cracking U-locks with freon. (Pretty dangerous thing to do, really.) The cops couldn't figure what was going on until someone spotted one of the guys doing it. Whole new meaning to "Gone in 60 Seconds" and they always took the lock too! They finally got busted, but by that time my bike was long gone.

15. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Oh that really, really sucks. Did you have it just locked up out behind the back of the building? I was curious as to how safe it is because of the alley...looiks And what type of cable lock was it? (Using a Kryptonite cable/ulock combo myself--maybe not enough).

I think you should go for the Marin! Looks like a great bike!

16. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

I locked it up round the side. Normally I use a heavy Squire U-lock which has served me well for 10 years, with a lighter cable lock to make sure the wheels and saddle dont go walkies. The problem was that I couldn't carry the u-lock on my bike, so sometimes i'd forget it, and have to use the cable lock.

With a decent lock, i think its OK to park you bike in London, i'm more worried about vandelism to be honest. I avoid leaving my bike outside overnight if possible. And railings are always better then racks. I've not had a problem for 5 years.

17. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

Interesting suggestion - maybe single gear is going a bit far (i do use it for longer rides and the occasional holiday, where higher gears are quite nice) but maybe a 6 speeder, or a hub gear bike? The simplicity is very attractive, and deuralier (sp?) gears are always a pain.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you're just commuting something like a Specialized Sirrus might make more sense.

Single speed - I don't get it. I have tried to get it and failed.

I like Abus locks and so do the couriers apparently. Only had one Kryptonite lock and that was affected by the recall.

And don't knock full suspension. I might get there later but I'm far less battered. London streets suck.

19. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

This thread makes me curious about bike locks in general. I've only ever had my front wheel stolen, but I feel for you, geese - it's a s****er.

I use my bike all the time in Oxford, it's essential. It's a Ridgeback Velocity - so not a MTB, but good for zooming on roads. I use an Oxford Revolver lock like this, because they look pretty tough and I can easily feed it through my front wheel and frame *and* to a solid street object. This can be pretty tricky with a U-lock, I find.

But what are people's opinions? Are thick cables like mine easier to break/pick than U-locks? Am I asking for trouble? I'm generally careful where I lock my bike, especially at night, because as far as I can tell if they can't nick it, they'll vandalise it.

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

21. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

Ugh, i hate suspension bikes. I've only ridden cheap and mid-range suspension bikes (front only) but I just didnt get along with it. Maybe if it was a quality fork, it'd get on with it. Its rigid for me, along with the sprained wrists and sore bollocks that go with it.

I reckon I'l go for a good Abus armoured cable lock. I've found a 2006 Marin Muirwoods on sale that I quite like. An 'urban' bike that looks very low key.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

My heart goes out to your bollocks. May they be less abused when you discover quality suspension :p

23. gropo macrumors member

gropo

Yeah, if it's going to be an all-purpose bike an old retrofit might not be the best option. Always possible to have 2 rear wheels (one flip-flop, one internal geared) as you suggested, but then you're always going to have a shifter cable dangling out at the rear dropouts, blech.

The Marin looks great, my only hesitation would be buying in to 1" headtube technology in this day and age... 1 3/4" threadless is sturdier and less problematic. Easier to find replacement MTB geometry forks for down the road as well.

I'd find it hard to believe that London's streets are in any worse disrepair than New York's. Suspension saps so much of your energy it's truly counterproductive from where I stand. Learning to anticipate potholes and divets, adjusting your weight on the fly... Takes more mental energy but avoids so much fatigue.

24. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

They use 1" Headsets still? No! Surely not! Why?!?!
    I think Londons roads can be alot worse then New Yorks! The roads are not necesserily in a bad state of repair, but there are so many badly deep manhole covers that take you for suprise. And the terrible roadworks!

I like to have all my energy directed in making the bike go forward, not up, down and sideways. I'm an old school cyclist- I'm dont like Aluminium frames, steel feels so much nicer.

In fact, i'm gonna try and find a second hand steel MTB frame (preferebly a Kona or an Orange) before buying new. Yay!

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

This always comes from people who've never tried current suspension systems, I find.