bilingual education in california?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 15, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have heard some experts say that spanish will be the dominant language in california anywhere between 2050 and 2100...but most estimates put it closer to the latter date

i won't be around and neither will many of you, but what about our children and grandchildren?

should california schools eventually make it mandatory to learn both languages? i hear these debates on the radio a lot and the left wing and right wing pundits love to hash this one out

i unfortunately took german in 6th-9th grades and since i never used it, i forgot just about everything

if i had taken spanish, i would have most likely had the chance to use it from time to time

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

Nobody should have to learn a language, even English. It is of course much smarter to learn the language so you can succeed and be understood. Eventually to understand the majority of people in California, you will need to know spanish.

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

sure... but

if they make it mandatory to teach english speakers spanish.. then they have to make it manditory to make spanish speakers learn english...

... the problem with education now days is that it is not focused on the betterment of people and pushing to make the next generation smarter than the last... we now reward incompitance and at times.. even punnish excelence.

we need higher standards... work ethics, drive, and pride in our selvs and the work we do.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Be carefull with this therat, not because I'm lating american, is because I'm the most interested person in this world supporting the exchange of cultural knowlege (did I spell ir right).

In Venezuela we have to take english lessons obligatory in private schools, it is need to be abble to understand a big chunk of the world for obvious reasons.

If there is the need to apply spanish lessons in some parts of th US I think you should be take that fro good because is the best way to understand each other, that is the way to go. It doesn't mean to lose your own culture (if there was ever one in the US) but to learn important things about others.

I can feel the difference between my way of thinking before and after experiment 3 years in the US. There are a lot of things that each part (between venezuelan and north american in this case) need to share between one and other.

To make in simple: the knowledge of "live" in the US culture is very poor compare iwth what we experiment here. In the same way people in my country does not have an idea of what "progress" mean.

In Venezuela nothing that works is man made, just parts of the nauture that made it trhu the years, in Venezuela there is no way an average person can built something, they spend the money and the time in the way. To give you an example, a graduate student from a private university hardly even know how to build a resume, in the same way, for get about asking them to make a cover letter. Just simple details like that is whats makes a prefessional worke, I learned that in the US and tons of usefull things too.

I got to go now, I'll be back later.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The information I've heard is that according to current demographics & birth patterns we will be a majority Spanish speaking country around 2025 - 2030. A majority Afro-Chicano nation!

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is the second time you posted this - unless you have a link or some other proof, statements like this can only cause flaming. Back it up or keep it to yourself.

D

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

omg...lmao ;)

not even CA has those types of predictions...and we are right next to mexico

we couldn't get those numbers so soon if we annexed mexico tomorrow

but i still think we should learn spanish, during the second half of this 21st century (or later), in the state of california as a mandatory thing

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In Florida, we have a similar situation with the Cubans and the Puerto Ricans. Even though English is the state language, they would require the schools to teach their kids in Spanish, rather than English. English, btw, has also been the national language for over 100 years when it won in Congress over German.

If they do decide on Spanish, which Spanish. None of the Spanish-speaking countries use exactly the same dialect. If they teach and use Madrid's Spanish, there will still be angry parents.

They should, however, make multiple languages mandatory. Perhaps, English, Spanish, Japanese :))), Latin, and German. That would cover the majority of important technologies and studies, as well as locally-spoken languages.

When I lived in Philly, I learned that the driver's license test was available in 86 languages, but the signs were available in English. Does this make sense?

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I think it should be obligatory for students to learn a second language in school, no matter what it is. Spanish is a great language though, and it would certainly be useful.