Bilingualism delays onset of dementia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ish, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Thought this was interesting.

I'm not bilingual but I'm learning another language. Hope it helps!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks for sharing that! :)

I went and looked it up, so here is a link to the scientific publication. :)

I personally think that the ability to statistically tease apart bilingualism from other variables that describe people who ultimately become bilingual is very difficult. But it certainly seems to add to the growing pool that, although it does not have the kind of effects caloric restriction does, mental exercise over the lifespan seems to be neuroprotective. :)

3. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

Thanks for that. I would imagine a very broad spectrum of people become bilingual: some from birth, some because of emigration, voluntary or enforced, etc. so I don't think bilinqualists comprise a group as such. As you say, it's difficult to sort the variables. I seem to remember some time ago a discussion about this on tv (UK), discussing whether mental activity helped to protect the mind and which featured a theoretical physicist who was still working well into old age.

I don't fancy the type of caloric restriction that people practice in order to live longer, but I'll keep on with the studies! How about you?

(goes off back to the language tapes)