Bill Cosby has more harsh words for black community

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stelliform, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think this is exactly what the Black community needs. (and I am such an expert. :rolleyes: ) He is someone who they respect, and he can to stand up and lead.

CNN article

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, imo, Cosby is correct to advocate personal responsibility and accountability for people taking charge of their lives. I do think that the educational system that many poor (and often minority) students receive is certainly not doing them any favors. It is a good start, but what he is advocating will not fix the problem, although it certainly will improve the situation.

I admit, I am a little out of my element here, so I cannot be an accurate judge...as far as Cosby being a leader, perhaps...but I can't get his jello commercials out of my head...not sure what that means...

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He's so right about the whole business. Unfortunately, we get people saying that he just doesn't understand what's going on today.

The trouble is, I don't think those people do. They ignore the struggle of their parents and grandparents. If they truly understood, they wouldn't do half the things they do.

It's easy enough to blame someone else for the problems. Certainly, the beer companies would run their ads on the radio about 5 times more on black-oriented radio than any other. I know plenty of people who have taken responsibility for their own actions and deal with life face to face everyday.

I hope what he says shocks enough people into doing something about it.

4. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think Cosby is just publicly saying what a majority of the black community already knew. I just think that they are ignoring the problems.

I think parents have a huge responsibility to encourage and force their kids on the right path, but we see so many parents (of all ethnicities) today just taking the easy route and not making their kids become better people.

The few black youth that I knew that went to college respected their mother and fathers. And they wouldn't dare step out of line for fear of punishment. I also know a black family who the mother was the manager of the cafeteria (boy could she cook) at my elementary school and the father was the all around maintenance guy. They scrimped and saved and put their son through medical school. He got established and bought his mom a restaurant. Through there hard work they now have two locations and are still growing. They didn't depend on any handouts. They made their dream on their own. I think that is what Cosby is getting at. Stop disrespecting yourself and your friends, stop wasting what has been won by the civil rights movement, and start moving out of the ghettos.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You've got a huge point. Even Asian kids, as their families are further apart from Asia, get breaks. It may not be as much as with other groups, but it's a change in discipline that their grandparents would never understand.

In Philadelphia, where Bill Cosby grew up, the black-on-black violence is terrible. For a while, there must have been something on the radio every hour about it. I remember some girl who got her ear lobes ripped open because she had some $300 earrings that she didn't want to give to a group of girls.

Although those neighbourhoods didn't deal with the violence so much, they were pushing the drug dealers out. It was impressive to see them take back their own streets.

People need to wake up and be people--we don't need any more sheep.

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

See it all the time.