Bill Gates' computer freezes during keynote presentation

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by urban1985_, Jan 6, 2005.

1. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Microsoft's Gates endures PC crash during keynote speech at U.S. tech show

January 6, 2005
    LAS VEGAS (AP) - Despite suffering through an embarrassing computer crash that prompted jokes and guffaws, Bill Gates promised that Microsoft Corp. would help consumers stay plugged into technology, during a keynote speech Wednesday.

In his seventh annual keynote speech at the International Consumer Electronics Show, Microsoft's chairman explained that the proliferation of high-speed Internet access and the falling price of data storage are compelling people to put music, photos, movies and other aspects of their life into a digital format.
    But while promoting what he calls the "digital lifestyle," Gates showed how vulnerable all consumers - even the world's richest man - are to hardware and software bugs.

During a demonstration of digital photography with a soon-to-be-released Nikon camera, a Windows Media Center PC froze and wouldn't respond to Gates' pushing of the remote control.

Later in the 90-minute presentation, a product manager demonstrated the ostensible user-friendliness of a video game expected to hit retail stores in April, Forza Motor Sport. But instead of configuring a custom-designed race car, the computer monitor displayed the dreaded "blue screen of death" and warned, "out of system memory."

Full story at Canada.com

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Ahhhhhhhh. :)

I'll have a smile for the rest of the day.

Gawd, can you imagine if that happened to Steve next week? I'd feel sorry for anyone he came in contact with for the first hour after he stalked off stage. :eek:

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember in one of Steve's keynotes a couple of years ago, some app (iPhoto?) wouldn't respond to his mouseclicks. :eek:

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think that's right -- can't remember which app either. But the whole system didn't go down, like it did for Bill, and certainly not TWICE in the same presentation. Egads!

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I love it they got the blue screen of death! not just a lock up, but a royal F-U from the computer. hahaha

6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

I think this happened a few years ago too, when he was demo-ing Windows '98. Shows you just how fragile of an OS Windows really is. Perhaps now Bill knows what it's like to be an everyday Windows user, when the OS crashes once or twice a day. :eek:

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Also durring this keynote they announced basically another delay to Forza Motorsports from February to April.... God damnit im getting impatient waiting for this game. My xbox needs a really good racing game!

8. Bozola macrumors regular

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, it was the camera. Batteries died or something. iPhoto was working fine when they got him a new camera, but he threw the old one off stage. People say it was at someone, but he might have just wanted it gone.

Oh, and :D

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Interesting how News.com is not carrying this story.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ahhh....the blue screen of death, a plague that affects all but the maker of the computer...err woops, I take that back. ;)

12. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I hope Jobs will have some kind of witty remark about this next Tuesday.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

And hopefully he won't get a kernel panic in the process :eek:

*Bill Gates sneaks off the stage with the real g5 that steve had brought* ;)

14. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I assume you are referring to the belief that news.com.com (what is that second .com for???) is somehow anti-Mac?

Actually, they do have info about it:
    Link

Check out the 4th full paragraph. I was hoping the video snippet on the site would have that part of the presentation, but no.

15. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Delicious. I saw a clip of it on a TV news network earlier and even the news anchor got a chuckle out of it.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Promoting the 'digital lifestyle' huh...

Makes you wonder if some sleazy underworld mole type comes in to Bill's office and whispers in his ear about iLife and any of the newest developments on the Mac and Bill races off to take credit for having invented technology.

M$ is always behind the curve... always!
    I guess their R&D team consists of attending Steve's Keynotes so they know what they are going to be working on for the next few years!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

17. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Not really, however Steve Jobs will mention the tsunami. You can beat on it. :)

19. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This reminds me of that video of when Bill and a co worker was demoing Windows 98 and it BSODed when installing device drivers. Bill responded with a quick, "..and this is why we aren't shipping windows 98 yet."

I remember downloads it from a website that had a lot of Apple movies.

20. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Footage of the crashes on the Screensavers now.

Hickman

21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Anynow know if we can watch the video of this happening to Bill thatd be so funny to see :D

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I made this recently. :D

What it really means, that gold 'ole BSOD:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

24. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Maybe at his next keynote or demonstration, Bill should use a Mac. :D