Bill Gates sounds rattled by Apple

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Blue Velvet, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

Apologies if this is a repost. I had a look around... and we all know the search function here leaves something to be desired.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine."

i thought they already do Bill , many times over:rolleyes:

3. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I like this quote from when Bill is asked what he´d tell people asking him why they should upgrade:

Guess Bill has left MS to work at the Seattle Apple Store.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Proving that Gates doesn't get the Apple ads. Hodgman doesn't play a PC user, he plays a PC. That's why he's all out of date and stuffy looking.

As for those Mac vulnerabilities (note, these are not exploits) virtually every single one of them requires physical access to the computer, whereas Windows exploits allow remote code execution from the other side of the planet.

Gates has tried that "Windows is more secure" line before with Linux. Didn't work then either :rolleyes:

5. bartelby macrumors Core

So MS will have total access to everything on your computer:confused:

That's not at all worrying!:rolleyes:

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I liked this one. You can almost hear the peevishness. :)

7. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Interviewer missed a great opporunity there. The answer to that last question should have been "Yes."

8. oceanmonster macrumors regular

I think that the problem is that Bill Gates cannot handle having an operating system that is not the best and doesn't have features like iLife.

9. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Bill himself brought up Apple. He may be trying to halt the positive media OSX gets in the light of the launch of Vista. Of course, in the next couple of days media will prove him wrong and tell people how out of date Bill and his company are.

BTW: BBC World now reports on how Vista can potentially self-destruct via a voice command on a web site or via e-mail. Likely to never happen, but more bad news for Bill.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Bill Gates view of history is creative needless to say.

He really sounds concerned about what Apple is doing right now.

I am looking forward to seeing the first Vista virus! ;)

11. bartelby macrumors Core

It's ok though, that can only happen if you actually want to use that feature:rolleyes: :D :D

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds like Karl Rove is now working for Gates, what a bunch of lies. Microsoft has no idea what innovation is and its software allways seem to be a generation behind Apples. Its still sad that the world went to crappy windows when it had a choice for superior software. If only Apple had a different marketing and hardware tier.

13. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

In just about every interview that I've seen with Big Bill, someone always mentions Apple. I think that's something he's never really had to deal with on such a large scale before. The Apple folks have always done a little Saber rattling, but the media is getting in his face about it. Something I've never seen much of in the past.

In most of the interviews, he's managed it pretty well, but I'm sure he's not happy about the media pissing in his cheerios lately. 5 Years and billions later, and he gets a lukewarm reception. Can't be a positive thing, I'd hate to be a stockholder right now.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is about the most ignorant statement I think he could have possibly made:

Sooo.... there's not millions of zombified Windows machines out there? :rolleyes:

I know he's rich.. but is his 'own little world' really that insulated from reality?

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

All that I have to say is up yours™ Bill Gates! :cool: :apple:

That was great Dont Hurt Me, thanks for the laugh! :D :)

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You cant watch TV or go on the net without seeing those new Commercials from Apple, Gates is spinning in his Vista, for him to say again Macs are riddled with hacks and virus everyday is again blatant lies. Vista and gaming appears to be crap at the moment from everything I have read. I see no reason or need for Vista at the moment for many people. Its release is going to flop yet they still will sell millions of copys with new machines.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Yep, counts as a Vista sale, although we know a lot of the buyers will instantly downgrade to XP :D

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's not necessarily lies, as I see it, it's just a childish attitude to take.

Yes, OS X is riddled with holes and bugs. As is Solaris, Linux flavors, Windows flavors, and anything else out there. ****, even cell phones and PDAs are ripe for exploit.

Gates is the Big Dog on the block. As BV noted, apparently he sees Apple as a real threat if he's going to lower himself to name calling and mom jokes.

IMO, he should have taken the high road. Instead, I think he just laid himself open to ridicule down the road. If he thinks that major security holes aren't going to be found and exploited in Vista... then he's sleeping on a giant pile of money.

Further thought... LMH (the OS X bugs dude) is under the employ of Microsoft (or a dummy corp). You heard it here first.

19. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

FECKING HILARIOUS!!!!

"So you feel in 2010-2011 Microsoft will be back with the next big one?"

"Absolutely. We'll tell you how Vista just wasn't good enough, and we'll know why, too."

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unfortunately it will be delayed until 2018. And they STILL couldn't get WinFS in there.

21. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Our whole company will. :cool:

22. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

23. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly. As will every other corporate buyer for the next year.

24. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The short answer? Yes.