Bill Gates

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by insidesource, Apr 21, 2002.

1. insidesource macrumors member

Most of the time when i'm looking for apple related stuff, fan sites seem to all despise bill gates etc.
    But if it wasn't for gates apple wouldn't be around, in 97' gates put in 150 million dollars into apple to keep it alive.
    when jobs told the 1600 fans at the Castle and then went live to gates, everyone booed and hissed, but how many of those where waiting for the next release of office mac?
    most people i've talked about jobs and gates, they find them as enemys, but microsoft is right next to apple.

i'm not supporting either jobs or gates, but i would like anyones opinion on this.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

While Gates may have bailed them out in '97, he was the cause of their delicate position in the first place.

Apple "adapted" Xerox's GUI for their OS. Gates heard about it, visited Cupertino, convinced Jobs that he wasn't going to steal it and then promptly did. Microsoft repurposed Apple's work and then sold it as their own, got to more markets faster than Apple, and started on the path to being a monopoly.

Everyone was pissed in '97 because here's Gates acting like the savior of Apple, when he was the guy who screwed them over in the first place...

Don't blame us for being bitter.

3. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

BULL****

To Respond to insidesource's Post...

BULL****

4. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

If I Ever See Bill Gates I will spit on his face, and cuss him out soo much, Id like to slit his throat and watch his life slip away muhahaha!

Aren't we all a little MaD?

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

TiMacLover - remind me never to get in your bad books!

I think Bill Gates is just a face to the company everyone loves to hate. I hate m$, but I use office...

6. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Naw, I am a really nice guy, I don't have a problem with evil/bad people but when the hurt other good people with dreams and hopes and ruin their lifes, I wana kill them :)

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

M$ copied some of the apple GUI for microsoft word and excel
    If they didn't let Bill take any of the GUI apple would have their own version of word an excel and a better one than M$ and it probably will be industry standard.

But just think if apple didn't let bill do that would we be all using windows
    and complaining about how crap apple is ike we do to M$
    just a thought

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I don't think killing Bill Fakes will be very productive.

We should strap him to a chair in which he can do nothing but watch a demonstration of the iMac G4 and a future PowerMac.

Better yet, we should steal one of his ideas.

Are we even? No...

Anytime is a great time for iPod.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

bill gates will step into the background and go into his foundation work...so the press seems to say, but somehow, i actually believe the american press for once

...so we can all be mad at steve ballmer

...and after him, rick belluzo (microsoft's president and next in line for the ceo job at microsoft)

but whatever you guys do, don't pick on xbox...it is really a cool product:)

and i read in one of the computer gaming mags that it has the best graphics chipset of any computer in the world available to the consumer...in a head to head test with a full on $2,000 dollar plus gaming pentium 4 unit, that graphics chipset in the xbox was still not currently ready for the pentium 4 or amd athlons...and xbox is $299 so that is not bad at all

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I dislike MS 'cause they are trying to totally take over the computer world. But alot of people seem bitter that "Bill beat Steve/Apple." Apple "borrowed" the GUI idea from Xerox, then MS "borrowed" it from Apple and did a vastly surperior job of getting it to the people. It sounds like Apple got caught w/it's pants down. Alot of opinionated Mac users sound like sore losers if you ask me...

The modified Nvidia chip in the X-box isn't available for PC 'cause it was special made for the X-box. And if you used a TV-out on the PC so the graphix were displayed at 640*480 on a TV then I'm fairly confident that the latest gen ATi or Nvidia cards could go toe-to-toe w/any console and probably win. But each platform has its ups and downs...

Lethal

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If I ever saw bill gates, I would have to kick his a$$... The lying, theiving assmuncher that he is.

He has earned out hatred and spite because of what he has done in the past to both Apple, and the consumer. What other software company charges $200+ for an OS??? The MOST that Apple has charged to date is $130 for OS X, and that came with OS 9.x AND developer tools. What do you get from m$ when you purchase the OS?? Just the OS, nothing extra, at least nothing productive.

Gates did steal the Mac OS and slap a different interface onto it on order to get windblows. How long did it take them to get even close to the easy of the Mac OS?? Have they yet?? One of the things that I find extremely usefull about pretty much ALL of the Mac OS's is the Apple+q to get an application to quit. IE is one example... under windblows, there is not 'quit' command (or equivalent). You have to close all the windows to get it to go away, and if you miss one, it's still running.

Damn your black heart bill gate, you go to hell, you go right to hell...

Oh, and as for the hexbox... I refuse to buy one on principle alone. Halo was supposed to be released for BOTH Mac and peecee at the same time (if not the Mac first). Then m$ bought Bungie and that went away. I am still hoping that Halo does come to the computer platform, either Mac (first choice) or the peecee (since I made one for games, with Halo in mind). I refuse to give them $350-$400 of my hard earned cash just so that I can play the one game I have been waiting for since it was announced.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Actually, Belluzo quit "mysteriously" earlier this month. Seems he didn't like the direction Ballmer and Gates were taking the country (his words).

I'll be happy to be mad at Ballmer...but Gates was still the brains behind the operation in the early days, and the one who made the key decisions when MS stole the "stereo" (for those of you who know the quote).

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

XEROX was going to can gui and woz doesn't think they stole it

www.woz.org

and yes, bill beat steve and steve but he also beat a lot of other worthy companies because bill was maybe a better businessman or a dirtier businessman, or whatever

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Technically Alt + F4 quits an app, but it doesn't work every time...but that just goes to show how poorly MS copied Mac OS...I mean, Alt + F4...WTF?!?! How arbitrary is that? Command + q at least makes sense...

And yes, Bill Gates can go to hell and take and his ill-gotten money with him...

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

:D.. our hatred of the evil empire makes us stronger, and binds us together in the task at hand. Does anyone happen to know how much old billy-bob gates gets per year as pay from m$?? How about senor Jobs??? I read, or heard, that Steve is only getting paid $1 a year, is that still true??? Talk about getting more bang for your buck :D...

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Bill Gates

M$ didn't do that out of any kindness or goodness... they did it because if Apple was gone, there would be NO real competition for winblows, and then where would they be? Apple is one of the few things keeping MS from having a true monopoly... I'm not saying Apple was sinking fast or anything, but M$ did this with only their personal wellfare in mind...

That said, Gates sure hasn't done me any favors... regardless of the genuine evil that seems to eminate from him, he's a jackass and he's made his money cheating consumers. Now he's got so much money he wipes his ass with it, and whenever he gives the tinest amount to charaties, he gets front page Time coverage, i swear to god...

i'm so not amused by what he's doing with this "photo library" project... nice idea but now he has the country's most famous photos locked down in a cave somewhere... those photos are a part of our heritige as a nation, and the original shots will never again see the light of day...

so yes, i love bill gates :cool:

hehe
    pnw

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yes, for the last few years he has collected a $1 paycheck...plus like $70 million in stock options...:D

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Can't blame him for stock options... that's just good business sense. Plus if the company tanks, the stock isn't worth much of anything (other then as toilet paper).

Taking only $1 makes his public image a hell of a lot nicer/cleaner then bill gates. Smart move :D

19. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Bill gates ready to take over WhiteHouse

Who told Bill gates is trying to take over the Computer world? His mission is to take over the world with his Passport.

Federal Govt is actually considering using Passport as National ID. Scary Indeed !!! He is not only trying to convice White House, but another 75 govt. from other countries..

Are we that stupid to trust our privacy on Bill Gate's hands?

read more on apple turns and Seatle Times

http://www.appleturns.com/yesterday/#3

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134438173_passport18.html

20. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Come on ya'll, Bill ain't such a bad guy. Granted his business practices aren't anything new in the corporate world. It's dog-eat-dog and that's just the way it is. He played the game the best and is the king-of-the-hill now. I admire his business acumen but abhor his business ethics but who isn't unethical now and then? I ain't no saint but I try hard to be good, and I'm sure Bill is the same way. He's given millions in philanthropic endeavors. Let's not forget that.
    I wonder what the world would be like if Apple were in Microsofts' shoes. Would Steve be seen as the rapist of computer technology?

21. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I once heard a quote— "Without Steve Jobs, Apple is just another Silicon Valley company. Without Apple, Steve Jobs is just another Silicon Valley billionare."

Apple is really Steve Jobs' brainchild and it's in his best interests to keep it that way. As long as Steve is CEO, stock!=toilet paper. :)

22. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Bill and Co. are knowingly malicious. They're already on top. Now they're just acting like a monopoly. They've already eaten the dog and they still want more.

I like the judge in the first round of Redmond Justice calling Microsoft's practices predatory and comparing Gates to Napolean. Harsh but true words. His "philanthropy" is a stunt. He's got billions— why not give them to charity and look good at the same time? He's got nothing to lose there. Millions are pocket change to him.

I just hope he screws up testifying for his company next week. That'll prove to be interesting.

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ewww, they ate dog?!?

His philanthopic ventures are tax write-offs...and so that he doesn't look like a complete @$$ for not sharing his immense wealth.

Yes, let Redmond Justice continue, and hopefully Bill follows the following procedure:

Step 1) Open mouth
    Step 2) Insert foot
    Step 3) There is no step 3

24. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'd say mac users need M$
    everyone need an enemy and we all have one
    Just like M$ they need an enemy to
    If they didin't have any where would all the competition go
    I'd say Bill Gates is a good thing
    Everyone hates him but they need him

25. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Bill Gates is just a figurehead for hatred of Microsoft. The fact is, he is just a talking head that we all hate because he happened to be lucky enough to be there when the whole computer revolution happened.

Bill Gates is not M$. Steve Jobs is Apple. Figurehead vs. Leader. There is a difference.