Bill O'Reilly on Letterman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by munkle, Jan 5, 2006.

1. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Thought some people might appreciate this, here's a clip of Bill O'Reilly on The Letterman Show.

Gotta love this comment from Letterman to O'Reilly, "I have the feeling that 60% of what you say is crap..."

(disclaimer: the video is hosted on my own site, I hope I've been around long enough for it not to be regarded as spam!)

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Hey, thanks for hosting this. I wanted to catch this when it aired, but I missed it. I pulled a copy to send to some of my friends (and save you a bit of bandwidth). :)

I think that, debate-wise, Letterman shot himself in the foot with "60% of what you say is crap" bit, but you're right. He's there to interview and entertain, not to debate.

I'd like to see Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart sit down face-to-face in a moderated debate sometime.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, i saw that on onegoodmove.org. it's a good item.

o'reilly: ... M one six...

it's MI-6, jackass.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Not really that hard to show up O'Reilly as a moron, IMO. :)

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, considering that Letterman isn't a political comedian or journalist, he did pretty damn good.

Reminds me of the famous time when he had Rush Limbaugh on, and Rush made fun of Hillary Clinton's looks. It went something like this:

The whole interview is here, and it's worth a read. Comes across very much in the same vein as the O'Reilly appearance. :)

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, but most people just try to prove their point against him and it turns into Bill yelling at them.

The beauty with Dave was he was like "who effing cares?"

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Bill was on The Daily Show. Jon was trying to be as courteous as he could at first, but Bill was being an ass, as usual. Called Jon a pinhead, and made an angry fool of himself. Jon could have nailed him, but the whole thing was just rediculous. I predict O'Reilly won't be back on either of these shows any time soon. I'm guessing he'll be retiring soon as well.

Oh, and falafel.

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Which is why I said something about a moderated debate. :)

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I was looking for this thread the other day. Glad someone brought it up.

I saw the tail end on the news the day after and downloaded it last night. I was very happy how Letterman pointed out that Fox News is NOT 'fair and balanced' and about his friends in the administration.

If you want to see some more of Bill O'Reilly making a fool of himself, check out the CBC Fifth Estate episode entitled "Sticks and Stones". Has numerous examples where someone he's interviewing will make a solid point, and he just makes something up. A French business report comes to mind. He said after France's decision to not back the Iraq war trade went down substantially between the USA and France, while in reality it increased.

I'm surprised Bill O'Reilly didn't just start his 'shut up' rant.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Didn't you hear him? He said their "analysis is based on the best evidence [they] can get."

Based on his track record, he's lucky he got 66% of the agency's name right.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ah. That would be something. I can already hear Jon saying "what!?!" and calling him a dick who's hurting America. Or a douche. Either one.

Bill will claim his Freedom of Speech is being attacked, then call him a "pinhead".

(oh, and, falafel)

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A cute little postscript to this topic:

Link

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

O'Reilly should be more careful about how he touts his ratings numbers. Probably half his audience tunes in to gape at him. I mean, who would have thought that Howard Beale would ever come to life? Not that it matters much in the end. In America, celebrity is its own reward.

Rupert Pupkin, ladies and gentlemen, Rupert Pupkin...

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it's not just O'Reilly with the big numbers. I was looking at an industry trade magazine the other day, and of the top ten cable news programs, three-quarters of them were on Fox.

Though that probably says as much about how bad CNN has become as how "good" Fox is.

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I believe that the ratings are due to people watching want they want to hear, Fox News caters to conservatives while CNN, MSNBC, etc. cater to the rest.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Probably not a fair comparison. Howard was nuts, but he had some good points and meant well. Bill is just a liar and a hypocrite.

Falafel.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and rupert just needed a break!

what's this about?

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You mean you don't know?

O'Reilly + Falafel.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Back at ya.

Point taken, but I think Bill is also out of his nut, and I think some if not many people tune in just to watch him foam at the mouth.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

uhhhhh... thanks, i guess. ::shudder::

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I guess you probably didn't want to know that. But that's why I bring it up every time Bill throws a hissie. Cuz it's funny.

(wait for it)

(wait for it)

(here it comes)

That's right, you heard me... falafel.

:D

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic