Bill O'Reilly sued for sexual harassment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, this is rich!

Spin this one, Bill!

From the lawsuit:
    and:
    Too, too good! He's even more venal and perverse than we ever suspected!

(Edited to correct punctuation and spelling.)

2. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, in the interests of being fair and balanced:

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's pretty standard practice in sexual harassment cases for the defendant to make claims of persecution or extortion. I obviously don't know the truth of this situation, but as it unfolds, it will be worth keeping in mind that sexual harassment is not so much about sex as it's about power.

In an article I read about this lawsuit this morning, O'Reilly made yet another claim about why this woman is charging him with sexual harassment: she's a Democrat and (gasp!) has actually made donations to Kerry and Edwards. Well, 'nuff said!

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Sexual Harrassment Panda to the rescue !!!

(that south park episode is ..like many others too...a true classic)

6. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Sexual harassment over the phone? I am not saying it cannot happen, but, would you wait long enough for the harasser to climax? I would just hang up! :p

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "The Spin Stops Here", doesn't it? I guess we'll have to wait and see if he gives her the last word this time. ;)

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

That's the whole issue with sexual harrassment in the workplace. People don't feel like they can say "no" without risking their jobs. Yeah, if some random guy calls you and starts getting freaky on the phone, you just hang up. But if it's a person that can get you fired and ruin your career, it's a much more difficult situation.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's so much detail in the complaint that FOX lawyers were asking to hear the tapes (apparently they're sure some stuff was recorded).

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but it is kinda funny. Like when Rush got busted for abusing prescription drugs. Hypocrites.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I have to admit that I'm hoping that between this lawsuit and Rush's drug problems we can have two of the most obnoxious wingnuts off the air in the next year. Not that they won't be replaced by some other blowhards. Now, if Hannity and Savage could just lose their jobs I'd feel a lot better. :D

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think anyone wanting a laugh should read the entire suit at The Smoking Gun. It's chock full of O'Reilly's delusional, egomaniacal, braggadocious sleaze.

And it's creepy too.

The countersuit reveals the probablility of tapes by O'Reilly's own admission.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-rutten16oct16,2,4906361.column

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Has O'Reilly as much as admitted guilt? From his program yesterday:

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think the woman has him on tape talking stupid! just a feeling i get so far from whats been said. Bill isnt so bad and i agree with him about 70% of the time, you want to watch a bigger right wing arrogant zealot stay tuned for Hannity and Colmes. I have gotton to the point of changing the channel as soon as Shawn talks but i really like the perspective of Alan Colmes. He comes across as very open minded and balanced unlike the repetitive extremist Hannity. It will be ashame for Bill if this ends up true and ill be dissappointed in him. I bet Fox offers her a deal she cant refuse and they dont end up in court.

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Hmmm...

I don't like Bill very much, I wish that those people would finally get around to throwing him into the sun. But at the same time, I think this woman lead him on with the intent of suing later.

Personally, I would like to have seen Bill go down for being exposed as a lying sack o' ****. And exposed as not even being partisan but just completely self serving, I think if CNN had the same format as Fox and offered enough money, Bill and Hannity would be gunning for liberals.

I'm glad you're looking out for us Bill, but what exactly has that meant other than you making a lot of money out of making simple minds believe it?

It's a shame he has that Irish name.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nobody seems to be talking about this, Looks like Bill & Fox settled with her so to me this means one thing Bill did something he shouldnt have and they paid her off.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You only pay blackmail when you're guilty, boys and girls.

19. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Scarborough had an intern who was in very good health found dead in his office under sketchy circumstances while he was in congress and he got a TV show, so I think it would take a hell of a lot to get one of these right wing clowns off the air.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I don't think that you think of the "power" that some over their "subordinates". It is the threat in the workplace that becomes an issue for many people.

The shame of these settlements is that the general public doesn't truly know the damage of sexual harassment.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The fact that he was stupid enough to fall for it just makes me laugh. If he were as moral as he claims to be, it would not have been an issue in the first place. Criticizing Clinton for doing stuff like this, then doing it himself, is just as bad as Rush criticizing drug users. And Bush saying we can't have a President who rushes into a dangerous situation ill-prepared. :rolleyes: