Bill O'Reilly tops the cable news ratings again!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Waluigi, Sep 5, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

News just in from the The Drudge Report (hence why I posted in current events), the latest cable news ratings as of 9/4 have the great Bill O'Reilly on top again:

CABLE NEWS RACE
    THURSDAY, SEPT 4

FOX O'REILLY 1.6
    CNN LARRY KING 1.4
    FOX HANNITY/COLMES 1.1
    FOX GRETA 1.0
    FOX SHEP SMITH 1.0
    FOX BRIT HUME 0.8
    CNN AARON BROWN 0.7
    CNN PAULA ZAHN 0.5
    MSNBC SCARBOROUGH 0.2
    MSNBC ABRAMS 0.2
    MSNBC OLBERMANN 0.2

--Waluigi

2. macrumors P6

wdlove

I enjoy listening to the Bill O'Reilly "Radio Factor," unable to watch his Cable show. Because of the high prices, have just have basic cable!

I am thinking about going to this months meetup group here in Boston!

http://billoreilly.meetup.com/

3. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ok....drudge prints this every chance he gets its not news, its cool that your into reading drudge but this is like a weekly story ..don't get too excited...drudge is good but please don't make it your only news source you will miss certain sides of things

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, Drudge does do this a few times a month. I do go to google news, and reuters too, but the drudge report is just so much more interesting, espically his radio show, with those ridiculous sound bites he plays!

--Waluigi

5. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

do you remember his tv show tho.. it got cancelled because he kept showing a dead fetus and ppl hated him for that....his ascension to fame was breaking the monica lewinsky story the night before the washington post reported it ....then he started getting millions of hits.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I didn't know about the Drudge Report back then, in the day. I've seen Matt appear as a personality on MSNBC, and FOX NEWS though. He is really good, controversial yes, but very good. I hope some brave network tries his TV show again. Imagine if he had funny video clips to go along with all those sound bites (crazy hillary laugh, larry king saying 'drudge report', al sharpton saying 'we are the hip hop generation' while the song 'my neck my back' is playing in the background)!!

--Waluigi

7. macrumors 6502a

Vector

Drudge is good, but sometimes he just posts random things for little reason that are not really newsworthy.

You should also read http://www.irna.ir/
    http://english.pravda.ru/allnews_en.html
    http://www.reuters.com/

Reuters provides far more stories than drudge since he mainly pushes out breaking new that he deems important. Pravda is a russian news service that gives a god perspective on asian news as well as world news (the above link takes you to the english version). The IRNA or Islamic Republic Newswire focuses mainly on news coming out of middle eastern countries, but it also talks about other news from around the world. I was going to suggest al-jazeera's english site, but it isn't that good as it is quite slanted whereas IRNA provides a less opinionated view of the same news.

I also skim the world news sections on yahoo sometimes as they have some stories that other services do not.

8. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

As I said in the other thread, I think the publicity surrounding the Al Franken book lawsuit is at least partially responsible for the ratings spike.

9. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i rather hope so... bill's views aren't in line with my own, to say the least. I do love that Franken assembled a team of researchers to dig up all of these statements over the years... can't wait to read it...

pnw

10. macrumors 6502a

Vector

Partially responsible, maybe, but o'reilly has been on the top of that list for a while now. He was winning in the ratings way before franken even announced his new book. O'Reilly wins every week in the ratings because there are no interesting personalities on the other news channels. He is good at being controversial and people watch him because they like his views and others watch because they want to see what he will say next and still others watch because they dislike him and want to see what else they disagree with him on.

11. macrumors member

Vector, Scarborough has a pretty interesting perspective.

Being a former member of congress he understands how things work in Washington, he knows a good deal of people because of him serving in congress, and his opinions often make sense and are genuine. For example, even though he's conservative, he doesn't hesitate questioning the Bush's connections with Saudi Arabia.

12. macrumors 6502a

Vector

I havn't had a chance to watch his whole show yet, but i did see it one day while switching channels and it didn't seem as dull as most of the others. Is it on msnbc?

13. macrumors 601

krossfyter

wow im surprised no ones lashed out against bill o' reilly on this thread yet considering how many bill o reilly haters are out there especially on this board. impressive that this thread hasnt hit the cynical level yet. wow.
    hah

14. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    o'reilly is popular...

so is macdonald's

both pander to indifferent consumers seeking quick tasteless satisfaction.

imho

15. macrumors 601

krossfyter

congratulations 3rd path for being the first one to drop on that level. ;)

16. macrumors 601

krossfyter

i totally respect your opinion not trying to change it or knock it anyway. what news program would you consider to be the exact opposite of what you described? just curious.

17. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well if that's the case, what's so newsworthy about him being on top of the ratings again?? The original post makes it sound like he's been out of the top spot recently.

For the record, I think O'Reilly's show is a big pile of stink with a turd on top.
    :p

18. macrumors 601

krossfyter

most of the people who knock bill o'reilly are usually liberals right? am i correct on that assesment?

19. macrumors 6502a

Vector

Nothing. As it was noted earlier this is a weekly thing that drudge puts on his site and is not some new groundbreaking story. Drudge has been putting up the nielsen ratings for those shows for as long as i can remember and o'reilly is almost always at the top. The original poster was not aware that drudge does this every week.

20. Retired

jefhatfield

yikes, this sounds like a political thread

but i would NEVER put a political topic in the community section;)

21. macrumors 6502a

Vector

Yes, for the most part they are liberals. While o'reilly claims to be fair and balanced, he is far and balanced in the sense that he has both liberals and conservatives on his show to debate the topics. He claims that he is not a conservative and he has actually agreed with the liberals he has on from time to time, but his personal views are mostly conservative. I think the reasoon that he does not let himself be labeled as a conservative is because he likes to keep his options open and does not want his own views to be constrained by a single doctrine. This allows him to disagree with extreme conservatives (roy moore) without being seen as someone who is betraying ultra-conservative principles since he never claimed to follow them.

22. macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah i knew this thing would be moved.

i think bill o'reilly considers himself an independent. im not sure if he has more conservative views then liberal views... if anyone has any factual info on this please spit it out cause id like to see some verification on this in some form or another. i know a lot of people who usually are liberal say that bill is too conservative and vice versa conservative people say his too liberal. i love the controversy this dude stirs up. i think its interesting to have someone get jacked from both ends and still remain solid if you know what i mean! hah that was highly suggestive.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502

This is taken directly from BillOReilly.com:

2. Is Bill a Republican, Democrat, or what?

Bill is independent. He prefers to avoid political party labels and focus instead on the issues that matter. In Bill's first best-selling book, The O'Reilly Factor, he addresses this question as follows: "...You might be wondering if whether I'm conservative, liberal, libertarian, or exactly what... See, I don't want to fit any of those labels, because I believe that the truth doesn't have labels. When I see corruption, I try to expose it. When I see exploitation, I try to fight it. That's my political position."

Hope that clears things up.

--Waluigi

24. macrumors member

http://www.msnbc.com/news/scarboroughcountry_front.asp

If ya couldn't tell from above he's on MSNBC, you can find the exact schedule at the site above.

25. macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, I would agree that those that call themselves a Democrat and especially a Liberal would complain about Bill O'Reilly.