Bill Watterson back in action?

Discussion in 'Community' started by kgarner, Apr 14, 2004.

1. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Have you seen the comic strip Frazz? I hadn't until yesterday, but it looks very familiar to me. Very Calvin and Hobbes.

I read this on meyerweb and after looking at the comic I am inclined to agree. Either this is Bill Watterson or a very big fan that is using a ver similar style.

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

It does look quite similar. And the comic that is one the website was very similarly worded to many of the comics where either Calvin is sledding down a hill contemplating or of Calvin's dad riding his bike.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, it's not nearly as funny as Calvin and Hobbes. That's not to say it's not by Watterson--after all, look at the depths to which Opus has sunk. As cartoonists get older, they generally lose their edge. I hope Watterson doesn't try to make a comeback--it'll never be as good as the original.

4. radhak macrumors regular

Wow, thats great. Yes, high likelihood it is ole Bill. This should be good. Yes, does have less potential for wild humor than with a six year old of precocious tendencies, but still, something to look forward to.

thanks kgarner for the tip. and that meyerweb seems pretty good too.

5. kgarner thread starter macrumors 68000

kgarner

No problem. I like meyerweb too, it is one of my daily sites I check. Mostly I go there for web design tips and such (Eric Meyer is pretty famous in those circles) but I find his other writings entertaining as well.

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

7. kgarner thread starter macrumors 68000

kgarner

Well, I guess the dream is over. I was looking into it a little more and found this. Oh well, I still like the strip and anything in a Calvin and Hobbes style can't be too bad. Unless, of course it is all an elaborate scheme... ;)

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah, being a Calvin nut myself, you can tell this is a look-alike--but not a Watterson original. More than likely a cartoonist who grew up on C+H and copying/paying homage to Watterson's style

9. coumerelli macrumors 6502

It HAS to be Bill...

Look at Frazz's hair. It is two distinct 'W's, which could possibly be the initials of one William (Bill) Watterson.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Conspiracy theories aside...

Being a long time fan of Calvin & Hobbes and owning all the compilation books, which have become very dog eared over the years, I feel like I can recognize the C&W style. There are some parts of the Frazz comic that I definitely recognize as typical of B.W.'s style of drawing. Whether or not he has any influence in this other then perhaps being a favorite seminal comic of Jef Mallett, I don't know..

Personally, I vote for this being an homage of sorts..

11. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I agree. I love Calvin and Hobbes and would love to see more Waterson, but for some reason I just don't think this is (aside from the provided proofs that it isn't him;) ).

I read a while back (can't remember which news site) that Waterson was playing around with children's books. Nothing including Calvin or Hobbes, just regular children's stories.

I don't think we'll ever see any new C&H, which makes my collection even more precious. :)

12. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Drudging up an old thread, huh? I still dont think this is Watterson, mostly because of the coloring job. The gradients and smoothness of everything isnt typical of Watterson's messier, more organic style. I still think Jef is just a serious fan of Watterson's, and pays homage to him a lot in his strips. He was obviously influenced by him, even though I don't find much of his strips that funny. He tries to be witty, but I dont think he pulls it off quite as well.

13. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

[​IMG]
    now is it just me or does this remind you of calvin and susie dirkin's lunchtime discussions, little more tame and no food throwing,almost like a middleschooler calvin. weird

14. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Yeah, I vote NO. If anything, it looks like the very early Calvin and Hobbes, where Watterson hadn't yet settled on the style. I can't imagine him making anything even remotely similar to C&H.

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Right--and it is probably just meant to remind us--again Im sure this Jef Mallet guy is just a fan, and paying homage

16. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

hey, its still funny