Billy Corgan using an iMac on stage.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Drewswa77, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Drewswa77 macrumors member

His new tour started last night in Portugal. iMac sitting there on the left in pic. Fits in nicely,

Attached Files:

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Corgan has always been a Mac-head. I know his ex wife Christine pretty well - she has his old collection of pismos and iMacs in her condo. The new iMac does fit in nicely on the stage there - kind of surprised he isn't using his 17" PB instead.

Meanwhile - in an alternate universe...

Attached Files:

3. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I stopped listening to him after Siamese Dream. The best Smashing Pumkins album IMO.

4. Drewswa77 thread starter macrumors member

So you listened to 2 albums. And feell that one is better then the other. Disregarding 4 other albums :rolleyes:

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I liked all the Smashing Pumpkins stuff, as well as his failed venture Zwan. I don't get why people didn't like Zwan, they were pretty decent. I guess they just expected too much like it was a SP return? :confused:

6. emaja macrumors 68000

Corgan hates everyone in Zwan and wants nothing to do with the rest of his former bandmates. He's said some pretty harsh stuff about them in a recent magazine article - I think it was Entertainment Weekly.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Billy Corgan? Hate someone? No......*acts shocked* :eek: :(

He had a lot of unkind things to say about his Pumpkins bandmates too.... I guess, were I his friend, I'd understand that he has a lot of pain and fears inside, but he sounds unpleasant to deal with, even if he is a musical genius.

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The hairless man in the picture. He sang for a band called Smashing Pumpkins, and also had a number of other projects. Very influential in the alternative scene in the 90s....Smashing Pumpkins is on iTunes...you might have heard Bullet with Butterfly Wings; Tonight, Tonight; 1979 -- or one of the other songs on the radio.

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Thanks Mohan. I knew who Smashing Pumpkins is, I have 1979 on the pod. ;)

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm surprised you'd like Siamese Dream but not Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. It's weird, I really only like three of their albums (Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie) but god how I love those three albums. If you've never heard Gish you really need to check it out. It's incredible and so many people don't even seem to know about it or overlook it. I also like a lot of the Corgan collaboration efforts with Hole on Celebrity Skin. Like the song "Petals", you can really hear Corgan's influence in there.

Can anyone tell what software he's running there?

12. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Basically, what happened is, Billy Corgan 'found god' and started to think that he was better than everybody else, and as a result, started making really bad music. The Pumpkins broke up (from what I've read - I don't know Billy) because he couldn't handle the 'rock'n'roll lifestyles' of his bandmates (the whole, sex + drugs thing). Don't know how he didn't see that one coming...

As for ZWAN. Do you really even have to ask why everybody hates them? Try listening to that album for once...man...

If you want some really interesting music, go download 'MACHINA II: Friends and Enemies of Mordern Music' by the Pumpkins. It was never commercially released, and Billy ripped and leaked it himself to 'stick it to the label' - so all of you sillies out there, saying 'downloading is bad and illegal', don't worry - it's perfectly fine to download this album without paying for it.

He actually used to host it on the Pumpkins website. If you can't find it there, try a google search, or perhaps, look for it on the P2P apps.

It's a really lowfi, gritty, awesome sounding album. I think it's his harshest sounding album. 'Adore' is still my favorite (sans a song or two) - but I suggest checking their last album out. Audiophiles beware - it will make your speakers puke, get cancer and explode. Cogran recorded it to intentionally sound 'crappy'. He mentioned in an interview that he missed the 'lowfi' warmth of analog recording - and like a few popular artists today - wanted to get away from the clean sounding 'digital / pro-tools' sound.

13. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Can't wait till I see him on the 16th at the London Forum!!

Always been a big fan :)

I only just found out about some of his personal stuff, like his ex-wife christine... There's something about his wedding on the "confessions" section of his site...

I'd say that like many excellent musicians, he's a bit of an arse - but hey, whatcha gonna do?!

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That close-up pic of Corgan doesn't look like him! Ah, the strange faces we make in the throes of performing! :D

Love SP, Gish is genius work! I, too, am surprised how many people haven't heard of Gish. It's fun to turn them on to it.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, kinda like Oasis fans....

16. Drewswa77 thread starter macrumors member

Thats cause its not him. Could be his dad. Or the guy that used to run the NYSE. Im not sure.

17. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

It's Ballmer isn't it....

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

Well, he at least hates Jimmy Chamberlin less than everyone else from Zwan, since he appears on at least one track on Billy's forthcoming album.

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm going on the 15th! I was at the last Pumpkins gig in the UK a few years back too.

20. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Totally off topic, but Abstract has the greatest signature. As a former fat kid, I salute you. :)

21. maximumbarkly macrumors member

Him and Chamberlin are friends, he just appeared on chamberlin's solo project. I don't recommend listening to it though, It's more of an audition tape of how good a drummer he is rather than an album.

Zwan, including alot of their unreleased songs, are treasures.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

I downloaded the album on friday, it's awesome.
    I love the lo-fi dirty sound!!

I found the links to the downloads on Corgan's own site.

23. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Yup.

As far as Corgan hating the Zwan members this is false. Corgan always needs breaks from his bandmates past and present. Corgan still hangs out with Dave Pajo (Zwan/Slint) and Jimmy Chamberlin on a regular basis. I saw Corgan watching Jimmy's new band at the Field Museum after-hours show a few weeks ago. They looked very chummy after the show.

24. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Somewhat relatedly, I understand that Keane uses a PowerBook in their concerts. I haven't had the opportunity to see them live, and I couldn't see the width of the PBG4 when they were on SNL due to camera angles, so I don't know which model.

25. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I saw them on Later... With Jools Holland, and I'd swear they were using some crappy peecee laptop...
    I think there's an obscenity filter on this board so I won't say what I thought, but you're lucky to get to see them! I got into them about 3 months before they broke up :(