Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Jun 24, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well, thought I would ask some of you here, what is your thoughts of this Icon.

Personnally I admire him, his genuine, compassionate, way. His ability to back away from taking sides in politics.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not many have been able to sustain a ministry like his for as many years without the accusations of infidelity and/or financial mismanagement. He has maintained his integrity and his dignity. His wife still loves him, and his son, though a prodigal, returned to follow in his footsteps. Not to say he is perfect, but we should all have such a legacy.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I've never heard him speak but I know my mom likes him and believes him to be sincere.

As for television preachers, I have watched Joel Osteen once or twice and he seems like a motivational minister. I am Catholic though and I belong to a great church. I don't usually watch church on tv.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

He's certainly hore huggable than Sheldon, Robertson and Reed.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say he's on the good end of the religious spectrum, despite what he alluded to about Israel. Oddly enough, he is also a very vocal Democrat. Even going so far as to say he thinks Hillary Clinton should be President. I'm as anti-G.W. as anyone, but that would be one of the things I'd disagree with him about (that, and as I mentioned, the Jewish thing).

Though he may be right about that too. She did a pretty good job last time.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Billy Graham- great, great man.
    Congrats on a life well spent Mr. Graham!

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think he said that as kind of a joke didn't he?
    At least that's how I took it.
    See the article ----> here

I don't think he really meant for Bill to become an evangelist :eek:
    I think it was mostly just tongue in cheek.

The Jewish thing was unfortunate, but it was a candid remark 30 years ago, and he has repeatedly apologized for his words. I'm just glad I don't have to answer for things I said 30 years ago. Heck, I can't even remember what I said yesterday, and I'm sure I said some stupid things then. :eek:

None of us are perfect, but all things considered (the Bakers, the Swaggarts, et. al.) I think he has had a remarkable run.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As far as I can see, anyone who says that JC is the only way to salvation is being a little exclusive.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Saying it is a little exclusive is generous, but that is the set of beliefs he holds, as do others who believe in a conservative interpretation of the Bible. However, Islam is just as exclusive, as are many other beliefs.

I think beeef's original intent was not to examine his doctrine, but the life he has lived. Not many have endured the glare of the spotlight with the grace and success that he has enjoyed. As I mentioned before, there are no moral scandals splashing the front pages of the tabloids, his only wife still loves him, and his prodigal son has returned to walk in his footsteps. And even most of the worldwide public either adores him or respects him. All of this in the public eye for decades. Truly a remarkable feat not likely to be reproduced.

Someone like Falwell may not have the scandals either... but he does not enjoy the place in the eye of the American public or the world stage that Graham does (even though their core fundamental doctrines may not differ as widely as some might imagine).

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, Jesus was the one who made that claim, so I guess you'll need to take it up with Him. ;)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He never picks up, I just get referred to his voicemail ...

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm never heard of him, why is he exactly an icon ?

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He was probably the first major evangelist in the US. His business is based out of Minneapolis, MN so it doesn't reek of the evangelical fervor that so many southern ministers have. He's also done a lot of work in Central America and Eastern Europe after the wall fell. If I remember correctly his message is more about love than it is about fire and brimstone.

I've never really understood the popularity of such guys, I think a lot of it has to do with America's obsession with stardom.