.bin files on Intel Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Jun 29, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Why is it that every .bin file that I download chooses to open in VLC player? For example, I just downloaded AIM which is a .bin file but for whatever reason it saved as aim.bin with the VLC PLayer logo. does this have anything to do with the fact that I have an intel based mac? How can I fix this?

2. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Select the .bin file, press command-i and change the "Open with:" application to whatever you like to use instead of VLC.

3. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

im having the same problem. i downloaded a movie and it is a .bin. i tried changing it to view with quicktime, but still not working.

help please?

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

.bin files are binary files and often executable and/or compressed.

Quicktime does not open these type of files..
    And I'd recommend against it myself.

5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i tried dropping the .bin file into stuffit decompressor... and it said it was unable to decompress.

wtf is going on? :confused:

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

.bin/.cue files aren't really mean to be played, although as you said, applications such as VLC can do it if it is in fact a video file. Really though, they're just image files that CD burning software uses to create a CD, and should be treated as such. It's really no different than downloading a .ISO file.

But yes, VLC can play them, and if you installed VLC with the default options, it probably grabbed all the file associations it possibly could, including .bin/.cue along with the standards.

7. MacMarvin macrumors member

.bin movie files are a little different from .bin data files. The movie files are VCDs that come as a .bin/.cue pair. They are actually mpeg-1 videos that are just formatted the way that video cds are. If you get Toast, you can burn these .bin/.cue files straight to CD and watch them on most DVD players.

If you prefer to watch them in quicktime, get a program called VCDgear. This will let you extract the mpeg with the cue2mpg option.

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

so i will need Toast to burn them to a DVD, and VCDgear to watch them on my computer?