Bin Laden Ain't Dead Yet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CubaTBird, Oct 29, 2004.

1. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod

we could do more in the search for Osama imo, but wtf do i know?
  2. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Shhhh, don't confuse curious George.
    Just say Iraq 3 times and breathe deeply. :eek:
  3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Not to worry guys. Once Iraq is "free" and Iran is "free" and North Korea is "free" and every other "terrorist" nation is "free", then maybe you will catch the guy that actually attacked you.

Not that I can talk, our Prime Minister how to bow down to Bush so that we could get a decent trade agreement even though 80% of the public was against war.
  4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    I though George really wanted Bin Laden captured.

Now he just can't be bothered then?

Please vote in Kerry, for the sake of the world.
  5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Yeah, I'm sure he's forgotten all about him. :rolleyes: C'mon people. Do any of you think you could do better finding this rat?
  6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    No, no. He'll really do it this time :rolleyes:
  7. pinks macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2003
    Highly political timing of this release - I wonder who it will benefit in the last days of the election?

[Aside] Reading that CNN article made made wonder something - perhaps a US-based poster could bring me up to speed.

In the article it says that "W" was boarding Air Force One to fly to Ohio as part of his re-election campaign. Do you know whether the US President can legitimately use the benefits of his office (i.e. a tax-payer funded aircraft) to assist his re-election; or does he have to pay for using the presidential aircraft if its being used for his own personal purposes?

I ask because here in the UK, MPs aren't allowed to use the benefits of their office (rail passes, parliamentary expenses etc.) to help fund their re-elections. If they do, then they can be in deep carp - not least from the UK newspapers which would give them a fair bit of stick.

Slightly odd question, I know, but v. interested in the US election[/Aside]
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    As far as what Osama says about US foreign policy and lies to the public, he's right. I can see why people would be pissed off, and I won't ever take sides. I know that people give me a look of disgust when I say that, but oh well, a lot of what goes on from all sides seems like terrorism to me. Don't get me wrong.....I don't want to see any US citizens die in a massive attack, but I want to say the same thing about what happens in Arab countries. It's just that I can see why someone would try destroying the US under what the US has done to their country, under certain religious beliefs, etc. Can't feel too bad for the US, but I really hope nothing happens. Nobody should be scared to live where they are.

Also, this will benefit Dubya the most, as the citizens will once again back him up if anything were to happen. Even the sight of Osama on video may change people's minds.
  9. EMKoper macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2002
    Stafford, VA
    Not easy to find a single person...

It is very difficult to find a single person in a large or even a small area. Case in point, the FBI has been looking for this guy since the early 80's and couldn't find the "Olympic Park Bomber" who resided in a 10 square mile area in the woods in North Carolina for 5 years. Even with military technology enablers and satellite reconnaissance, pin-pointing one guy (in location and at the right time) hiding among the roughest terrain in the world... where the civil borders are porous and not controlled by the surrounding governments... where the governments aren't the most cooperative... and the locals are mostly non-cooperative... all amounts to no trivial task no matter who is in the White House! I can't see how the person who happens to be the President is is the one with the serious problem while undertaking such a historically difficult task. Arguing the economy is a much better angle for the John Kerry crowd. No matter who wins the American presidency, come Feb 2005 it is still going to be the same non-political appointees doing the looking (the military people, agency analysts, and other operatives). And, according to Lt. Gen. Norton A. Schwartz, the Joint Staff’s Director of Operations, reported by the "Stars and Stripes:"
    How bad does that suck? Take a great military tour in Hawaii and end up in Afghanistan for a year!
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I believed that he was alive, so no real surprise. He is a reminder that we are at war against Terrorism. Looks as though at this point a video tape is only that Al Qaeda is capable of accomplishing against us in this country.
  11. cornfedgrowth macrumors member

Feb 17, 2004
    I've been saying this...

I've been saying this (not here) for a while now. I'm a freakin freshman in college and i seem to understand more about foriegn policy than our leaders do. I think we all need to go back to thrid grade. remember when you were mean to someone and your teacher/mom/ect. told you to think about the other person felt? Our country needs to do this. Our policy does not exactly make Arabs happy. Our actions, praticularly our support of isreal, have alienated the Arabs. We treat the people of the middle east like they are dumb children. We need to look at this from an Arab point of view. The US's actions regarding the M.E. look alot like terrorism. In their view, this is a just war, and i believe that they have a point. Does that make me unpatriotic? No. I dont believe anyone should be afraid to live where they live. Whether its New Yorkers or Palistinians, no one should have to live in fear of terrorism. Bin Laden is doing exactly what we are doing: trying to create change that will bring peace and prosperiety to our people. Unfortunately, our two sides are locked in a religious war. The US needs to take the high road and adjust our policies before more people are needlessly killed. I dont sympathize with Bin Laden, but i dont sympathize with the US either. Both have made mistakes (whether we'll admit it or not) that need to be rectified.

p.s. VOTE KERRY!
  12. frozenstar macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    The president travels in Air Force One for security reasons. It doesn't matter where he's going.
    Aside from Air Force One, the president is technically not allowed to use a government budget to finance his campaign. That being said, the current president and a few other presidents before him have found ways of circumventing this law.
    I don't want to make this political, so I'll just leave it at that.
  13. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    This should not surprise anyone. The only surprise should be that some people actually believe the war in Iraq has anything to do with terrorism!

Maybe now the powers that be can actually focus on the right target instead of spending trillions of dollars on a war that has done nothing to make their country safer.

On a related note... don't ya think that the people around Osama would have smashed is video camera by now?

14. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    yeah that's why we backed off our hunt when we were threatened that if we continued the oil fields would be set on fire.
  15. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Political Thread here we come.

Maybe if we were looking for him instead of Saddam, who we found, he wouldn't be flaunting it right now. He would have been brought to justice, or at least running scared. For those wanting to vote for Bush, remember that he was the one who didn't want to read a report called "Bin Laden Determined to Strike US" while on vacation. He's the one who wanted to jump into Iraq without a plan because they had ties to Al Qaeda (later disproved), despite the fact that Bin Laden IS Al Qaeda. Yet we pulled our troops out of Afganistan to go to Iraq. And we still don't know why. IRAQ DID NOT ATTACK US! Remember that. The war on terror would be fine... if we were actually fighting it. Instead we're just trying to fix the mess we made against overwhelming odds.

Do you feel any safer? I don't. The guy who actually attacked us is still out there, gaining even more support thanks to our botched invasion. And anyone who questions the mistakes made by this administration (even though they cannot admit to any, and even blame the under-equipped, and poorly trained troops) is branded a traitor. I love this country. That's why I am voting against Bush and his mistakes. Anyone with their eyes open who truly loved this country as well may want to take a look at how bad it really is out there.
  16. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Another technicality, any aircraft the president rides in gets the designation of air force one. (albeit temporaily)
  17. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    You should join the army if you know so much. Cowardly...
  18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    But by then he'll be 6 feet under! :D

(or in whatever position/place/state Islamic/Arabic tradition dictates)
  19. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
    Prez and campaign expense

The presidential campaign is required to reimburse the US govt for any political use of Air Force One (which is ANY aircraft in which the prez happens to fly - helicopter, prop plane, hot air balloon).

There are also provisions for some political activity within the White House and the prez (all of them) have on-staff a number of "political advisors."

As has happened in the past - think Al Gore's fund-raising phone calls - the line between campaign use and official use can get very blurry.

I was recruited about 20 years ago by a congressional office to be the Rep's pesss aide and was told that I would draw a paycheck from the US House for 6 months and then would draw a paycheck from the re-election campaign for 18 months. (Didn't take the job).
  20. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    :) Laughing pretty hard right now :)
  21. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    North and east of Mickeyland
    The problem here is that for many Arabs in that region, the only thing what would make them "happy" is the complete erasure of Israel from the map. Whether those Arabs like it or not, that is simply not going to happen, nor is the U.S. ever going to support any effort to make that happen. In that regard, the old saying "you can't please everyone" is truly at play here. Those Arabs who have such a mindset about Israel will NEVER be "happy" with U.S. middle east policy.

Someone made an interesting point in one of those news channel "discussion" type shows yesterday: This tape is Bin Laden's attempt at influencing the U.S. election. If he could have sent us a bomb instead of a video tape, as he did in Madrid 3 days before that election, you can rest assured he would have. With that in mind, yes I do feel a little safer. Not to say we are absolutely safe, but I do think we have put a serious dent in their ability to operate all over the world. That combined with heightened vigilance and re-focusing of homeland intelligence efforts are making it increasingly difficult for Al Quaeda to strike in the U.S. I agree that much more needs to be done to insure our safety, but I cannot understand why so many refuse to acknowledge that progress has been made.
  22. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    I do find it interesting that Osama is claiming that it doesnt matter whether Bush or kerry is in the office, the attacks will continue until the US gets out of israeli/palestinian issues. Well, because of how oil factors into this whole mess, that's not going to happen any time soon. So, instead of holding conferences and doing more discussions, we just decide to blow up anyone who gets in our way. NOW, that even makes it worse. We killed a bunch of Iraqis for no damned reason, which does nothing for our future negotiations.

If we spent as much money,effort and research into finding alternative sources for fuel, (other oil-rich sites, hydrogen/electtric/solar) we wouldnt have to be in a f*cking war. But instead, our government went with the easy approach, and figured hey- we've got the largest military in the world, lets just MAKE em behave. Now it's backfired, our towers were destroyed, and now we say its justified to go an kill everyone.

The cycle of hatred has to stop somewhere, and I dont think Bush nor Kerry has the nuts to do it. Killing terrorists isnt the answer. Who are we kidding? We CANT FIND THEM ALL. Getting the problems fixed in the Middle East IS the solution. A solution can be found, but we're too trigger-happy to be patient enough to do it. Not to mention Bush had an agenda to seek revenge on Saddam for his dad's sake.
  23. pinks macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2003
    Thanks for that info - very much appreciated.