Bin (VCD) to AVI

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nayeenanajar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Nayeenanajar macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2007
    Hi all,

A friend game me some footage to work with via ftp. He has it as a burnable VCD disc, meaning it's got a cue and bin file. Does anyone know how to convert this to an avi or QT?

I tried just mounting it with Toast but it was just all the vcd information.

2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Just renaming the bin (or the dat file if you have it mounted) to .mpg often does the trick or you might look into vcdgear.

3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
  4. Jobo086 macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2007
    Bin or cue and what software to use.

I have a bin and cue file, both of which play on VLC, but I want to burn these files to a CD or DVD so that I can play them on a DVD player. I've heard lots of things, and so far I only know that I can't use VCD Gear. Can anyone help me with my dilemma?:confused:
  5. mkgordon macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2004
    Why not?

Why can't you use VCDGear? I just learned of it in this thread and downloaded it. Works as advertised. If you have a Mac, you can use this app. Don't you have a Mac? If so, why are you posting to Macrumors?

If it's that you don't know how, briefly, you don't double click it - you open Terminal (Utilities folder), then drag the icon of VCDGear to the Terminal window. Then you type your flag (" -bin2mpg"). Then you drag the icon of the file you want to convert to the window - that puts the absolute location of your file in the Terminal command you're building. Then drag the file to Terminal again. This time, backspace to change ".bin" to ".mpg". Hit return and you're off to the races.

Your command will look like this:

/Users/mike/Desktop/vcdgear -bin2mpg /Users/you/Movies/YourMovie.bin /Users/you/Movies/YourMovie.mpg

I've discovered another flag, "-toast", that you can add to the -bin2mpg flag like this "-bin2mpg -toast", to force Toast-friendly mpg output.

Alternatively, you can always burn the .bin file to disk using Toast's Copy->Image file. A .bin file is an image file, as far as I understand.

Hope this helps.