Binary Newsreader

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redneon, May 15, 2006.

1. redneon macrumors member

Apr 27, 2006
    Does anyone know of a decent binary newsreader for OX X? Preferably free, if possible. I've recently switched from PCs after buying a 20" iMac and I used to use Pan (in Linux) and Newsbin Pro in Windows.
  2. milkdev macrumors member

Apr 15, 2006
  3. prophet621 macrumors member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long time Newsbin Pro user here. I have to second Unison. When I got my first mac I tried every newsreader I could find and while some were decent at best, most were pure crap, especially compared to newsbin.

Then I tried Unison and after a while I really began to like it. Few of the features I like best are tabs, one tab for binary files and a tab for the text posts so I could look at one or the other easily. I don't like the way Newsbin handled text posts since it's primarily a binary downloader. Another thing about it I like is it groups files togeather. In Newsbin when you're looking for a group of files they may be scattered around based on when they were uploaded. Yes you can sort and group easily in Newsbin but I find it handy that it's done for me in Unison.

Unison took a week or two to grow on me but I really like it now and hands down better than anything else for OSX.
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Unison is Great, but don't post with it. It produces corrupted files/incomplete segments.
  5. prophet621 macrumors member

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks for that heads up about posting with Unison. I didn't know that, since I never tried posting but good to know. I always wondered why people always posted with Thoth even though for downloading I found it to be clunky at best, now I know.