Bio-Fuel and my dismay

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Jul 31, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

When I heard about this this morning you could have pushed me over with a feather.. I'm just amazed by the idea. I had such preconcieved (wrong) notions about how dirty diesel engines are that I quite simply didn't believe it. Was anyone else aware of this? A diesel engine will run on vegetable oil... I'm looking a old 300-series Mercedes now, I want to try it.

http://www.grassolean.com/

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/speci...338/article.html?tid=edmunds.h..reviews..14.*

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

apparently you can get an adapter for some diesel cars that will allow them to burn oil... i know for sure VWs have this option... the issue then is *getting* the oil... whether it's a matter of getting mcdonalds or some other place to let you use their old oil... it is certainly a good idea.

also, some (very few) gas stations are selling biodiesel... usually the amount of bio rather than diesel is only like <5%... (with 100% being straight up oil i think)... however, i believe you can order it from some places. and there are definitely some places that have like 90% biodiesel...

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've run it in my 2002 TDI. Higher cetane rating = more oomph!

Unfortunately, it's hard to find bio-d in the States.

Check it out here:

www.biodiesel.org

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's not a factory option, but there are SVO (uncracked oil) systems out there that allow you to burn it that way. It's much simpler to crack it and run the biodiesel, IMO. You can do it if you have a garage.

Or the pumps, where I get mine.

You're seriously mistaken here.

Most pumps sell B100 (no petrol oil; pure biodiesel). Most drivers will mix the tank of B100 in with petrol oil to a ratio anywhere between B5 and B85, depending on where they live (biodiesel gels at a higher temp than petrol) and how available B100 is to them.

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

1. i just know what my bro's girlfriend was planning on doing, ie buying the add on that would allow her to use the straight up oil (as i guess you don't need the fix to run biodiesel)

2. you get oil straight at the pumps? hmm

3. i never claimed to be an expert. in fact, just stating what i thought i remembered. i happen to be wrong... it haPPPens

4. i haven't seen any "b100"... have just seen/heard about the few pumps that sell biodiesel at all, which was <10 if i remember correctly. and as we've established, i may be wrong at times.

ps. it's your president here, so don't get too bitchy at me. ;)

take a closer look if you still don't get what i mean.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i remember a pioneer in this, a few years back converted an old VW into a biofuel vehicle... Drove across the country, stopping at restaraunts for their deep-fryer oil. It's a pretty good idea, tho it would be largely impractical in heavy use...

pnw

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

pseudo- didn't you just say it's hard to find bio-d in the states??? ;)

8. Physiognome macrumors member

The SVO systems I've seen require you to install another feed line/fuel tank and warm up the engine on regular diesel, then switch to the tank containing vegetable oil after five minutes of driving. Likewise, you need to switch back to diesel five minutes before you turn the car off, to clear the system.

Also, back in 1920 people started using petroleum diesel because the glycerin in unprocessed oils murders your engine. I don't see why things would be any different now.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

SVO systems heat the oil so it combusts fully. If SVO is not heated enough, the glycerin will kill the engine.

That's why you crack the SVO using methanol and lye, leaving you with biodiesel, which is fully compatible with modern diesel engines without modifications.

Also, El Presidente, it's hard to find bio-d but not as hard as only 10 pumps. There are at least 3 in my general area (two in upper Maryland and one near Pittsburgh) and warmer areas tend to have a higher number of them (no need to heat the tanks over winter).

10. Chmeeee macrumors member

I have used biodiesel in my 2002 VW Jetta too. Its great stuff, and a great feeling to be getting 50 mpg while not consuming any foreign oil. It gets expensive though, so its more of a treat than a regular fillup for me.

The most common blend is B20 (20% bio, 80% regular diesel), and I have also seen B100 offered, although have yet to try that out. The great thing about the BioD is that the car actually runs smoother, because it allows for better lubrication, and requires no special conversion for the engine, unlike veggy oil. The downside is you really cant use anything stronger than B20 in the winter, because it gels up in the tank when the temps drop down low.

Also check out www.tdiclub.com for more good information.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

diesel technology is advancing rapidly -- i think, for the near term, it's a better sol'n than hybrids. like pbrit, i've got a VW tdi. i've got a lead foot but still get 40/55 mpg. haven't sought out biodiesel yet, btw.

in europe, both VW and audi sell what they call 3L cars -- cars that go 100 km on 3 liters of diesel. that's upwards of 80mpg.

in 2001, VW demoed a prototype of their 1L car. they drove it 100km and used less than 1 liter of diesel. they calculated it to get 272 mpg. (!!!!)

but here in the US, the average mpg is still in the low to mid-twenties.

12. Pedro Estarque macrumors regular

Biodisel in Brazil

Biodisel has been used here in Brasil for a long time, specially in very remote places ( such as some amazon small villages) where there is no electricity, or gas stations. There is a seed in amazon called "Dendê" which converts 95% of its weight in bio oil, which means you can have a self-sufficient farm in the middle of nowhere very cheap an easy.
    But on the other hand, AFAIK there is no way you could buy biodisel in a regular gas station here.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

America's rich heartland could grow enough soy and hemp to fuel an entire nation of 5L cars. Farmers would turn a genuine, unsubsidized profit and we'd never buy foreign oil again.

But then the oil companies (aka the guys with the corner office in the White House) wouldn't be making much anymore.

14. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If America wanted it, it would happen. Right now we just don't see fossil fuels as a threat, so why change the norm? The white house isn't stopping us from doing anything. They're caspitalists, they have no problem making money off vegatable oil.. they'd find a way if there was a market.

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

who said anything about 10 pumps? ;)

do you know of any near frederick (md of course)? that's where my bro with the tdi jetta lives......

word

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

17. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

Re: Bio-Fuel and my dismay

Enjoy making your own:
    http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/altindex.htm

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

18. mike czech macrumors member

mc68k- have you checked that new gas station on El Cajon Blvd right off the 15? It's all alternative fuels...

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I will definitely be using it whenever I fuel up in mid-city.

10 years ago when I lived in the midwest, ethanol was the way to go.... $.10 to $.15 cheaper than regular unleaded, and usually at least 92 octane. I hope we can get that price and quality out here!

19. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'd love for a full transition to biodiesel, but I don't think the Oilmen currently in office in Washington would allow it...especially after all the trouble they went to over Iraq.

20. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Re: Bio-Fuel and my dismay

I can see the headlines now: "Study says: latest nationwide rise in obesity correlated to widespread adoption of biodiesel fuel." ;)

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The last thing the government wants is hemp usage, in this or any other form. It's simply too good of a material, it solves many problems that they've made an industry of dealing with...

I point out to everyone, tho you undoubtedly know, that for absolutely no reason, hemp growing is illegal without a government-issued permit. This needs to change... Hemp paper is a pleasure to write on, has a lovely feel, and kills 0 trees. And that's just one of the many uses...

pnw

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract