Biodeiesel or SVO

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by *Y*, May 1, 2006.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum is running their car on homemade biodiesel or straight vegetable oil. Do you have any advice? I was thinking of doing it myself.:D

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I used to run a boat I took care of on biodiesel...not much savings there..at all.

There are plenty of pages (European, mostly) on running vegetable oil and waste lard in your diesel. Legality among different governments is sketchy, I believe.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Straight biodiesel is not usually a great idea because it has such a high solidification temperature. Anywhere in the U.S. or Europe, if it gets a little chilly outside you'll have a tank of BioJello.

A more viable solution is BD20, a mix of 20% biodiesel and regular diesel, which usually doesn't have the same problems as Biodiesel.

5. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

I live in Virginia and was thinking of going biodiesel for the summer. The gas prices are just a little bit to expensive for a poor student like me.:D

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Not to crap on biodiesel, but it's a pretty serious undertaking. You'll either have to find a provider, or build a setup for making it (expensive) and get a contract with a restaurant to get their used fryolater oil.

At this point, Biodiesel isn't quite ready for the average person, but it should be soon.

To save on gas, consider driving less, walking and biking places, make sure your tires are fully inflated, keep your gas tank above 1/4 capacity, let your car warm up briefly before driving, and accelerate gently. :)

7. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Thats the exact opposite of what I do.:D :D :D
    No, but seriously why should I keep my gas tank above 1/4 full?

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

exactly what i was going to ask...

surely the car would be lighter on less fuel making it more economical?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Every time I've used it I've bought it from a pump at a service station.

To the OP: summer use in VA is fine. If you wanted to continue to use it over the winter you'd have to reduce from B100 down to maybe B10 during the coldest months.

If you don't have a commercial pump nearby, then it can indeed become a "serious undertaking" what with the garage refinery process, but even that's not so difficult or pricey if you have the room, time and mien.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Every time you fill up you introduce a great deal of VOC into the air. Keeping the tank low means you fill up more. So if anything it's a pollution concern.

11. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

When you first start using biodiesel it cleans out the crud from the dinodiesel, thus clogging your fuel filter. Be prepared to replace the fuel filter soon after making the switch.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Impurities in the gas settle to the bottom of the tank and muck up your engine, making it somewhat less fuel efficient and putting more wear on the engine. :)

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

absolutely.

in addition in cold climates there can be a bit of a condensation concern in the gas tank.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My brother's fiancé's parents (man, I can't wait for the wedding. "My sister-in-law's parents" is so much easier) converted an old Mercedes diesel to also run veggie oil, and they live in northern New Hampshire (closer to Canada than Boston). She says it smells like french fries on the road.
    I would love to have the resources to do that. "I'll have a number 9, with a Dr. Pepper, and all your old frying oil"

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That smacks of old wives' tale. Any impurities are regularly settled and cycled through with each tank no matter what. Fuel tanks don't work like a soda bottle where backwash sits at the bottom until the last swig.

There's also fuel filter (with a regular maintenance schedule) for a reason.

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-*Y*, Pseudobrit

My mechanic frend of mine has said this to me on several occasions, but he's always talking about the fuel pump. Something to do with efficiency, and cavitation.

Well, whatever. Personally, I don't go below 1/4 because of the 'Stranding Factor' :)

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I once ran out of gas because I refused to pay $1.18.

"Hihghway robbery," says I, as I decided to wait until I got to the next station. 3 miles away.

18. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

*y*

Well first of all I have to buy a diesel car, anyway.:D

I'll keep you guys updated if I decide on anything.