Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosley

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
Still trying to figure it out

I've been watching this thread for awhile to see if Bioshock would eventually recognize the wired 360 controller. I myself have not been able to solve the problem and have recently attempted to edit these 2 files,

Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Info.plist
Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install360Controller.info

but can't figure out how to change the permissions. They are dimmed so I can't click to change. Has anyone been able to do this and make the game work with the wired 360 controller?

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
I've been watching this thread for awhile to see if Bioshock would eventually recognize the wired 360 controller. I myself have not been able to solve the problem and have recently attempted to edit these 2 files,

Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Info.plist
Install360Controller.pkg/Contents/Resources/Install360Controller.info

but can't figure out how to change the permissions. They are dimmed so I can't click to change. Has anyone been able to do this and make the game work with the wired 360 controller?

Are you trying to go back from .9 of the tattlebogie drivers to .8? If so, I got Essem's instructions to work. After you edit those files and get info on them (I'm assuming you've already done this), there's a tiny lock icon on the bottom right of the 'get info' window. If you click it to unlock it, it should ask for your administrator password. once you've done this, you should be able to adjust the read/write permissions for the files. If you don't have administrator privelages on your comp, you probably won't be able to do this. Also, just to be safe, I changed the permissions on the entire "contents" folder inside the "show packages" option. If all works out, you should get an error from the installer saying that a newer version of the driver exists; however, it will let you press "continue" and do the installation. My installer said that it failed with an error at the end of the installation, but it did install the drivers nonetheless. My copy of bioshock now lets me select "on" in the "xbox controller" section in the bioshock preferences screen. However, I haven't tested out the controller ingame yet.

macfable

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Florida
I'm using the Logitech Rumblepad II with most of my Mac games which works perfect, even with Bioshock.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cord...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265494840&sr=8-1

Theres a wired version as well, which works too.

But honestly, why use a gamepad on a computer ? Mouse aiming is much more accurate... just play it on a console if you want to use a controller.

how did you get the rumble pad to work? i have 2 of them but can't get either to work & was considering getting an x box controller in hopes that i could use that to play bioshock

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
how did you get the rumble pad to work? i have 2 of them but can't get either to work & was considering getting an x box controller in hopes that i could use that to play bioshock

RumblePad2 just works as it uses standard HID (and we added in a Mac only support for it). The 360 needs drivers to work (and we think Microsoft have altered the hardware on the pads with no documentation) sometimes the 360 pad fails to work.

We are working on a solution but right now we are collecting data to work out why some pads work and others don't, plugging in your 360 pad making a support report using BioShock and emailing it to us will help.

Edwin

macfable

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Florida
RumblePad2 just works as it uses standard HID (and we added in a Mac only support for it). The 360 needs drivers to work (and we think Microsoft have altered the hardware on the pads with no documentation) sometimes the 360 pad fails to work.

We are working on a solution but right now we are collecting data to work out why some pads work and others don't, plugging in your 360 pad making a support report using BioShock and emailing it to us will help.

Edwin

Thanks Edwin. Pardon my ignorance though, you said the RumblePad2 just works, but I'm not finding it to be so simple. I have it plugged in and ready to go... but when I start the game it doesn't respond to the controller nor can I find a way to map the keys or select the controller.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks Edwin. Pardon my ignorance though, you said the RumblePad2 just works, but I'm not finding it to be so simple. I have it plugged in and ready to go... but when I start the game it doesn't respond to the controller nor can I find a way to map the keys or select the controller.

Go to the menu options and enable the 360 controller and instead the RumblePad2 will magically work (you will need the latest 1.0.1 patch). The PC only supported the 360 but once enabled the pause menu will show you a RumblePad2 style graphic.

Cheers,

Edwin

macfable

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Florida
Go to the menu options and enable the 360 controller and instead the RumblePad2 will magically work (you will need the latest 1.0.1 patch). The PC only supported the 360 but once enabled the pause menu will show you a RumblePad2 style graphic.

Cheers,

Edwin

Thanks Edwin. I am currently running the 1.01 patch, but when I go to the options menu the 360 on/off is grayed out and I can select neither. I contacted Feral customer and was told that there is definitely support for the wired version, but that there may be issues with the wireless one which will hopefully be fixed in a future update. Edwin do you have any idea how far off a future update is? Thanks.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks Edwin. I am currently running the 1.01 patch, but when I go to the options menu the 360 on/off is grayed out and I can select neither. I contacted Feral customer and was told that there is definitely support for the wired version, but that there may be issues with the wireless one which will hopefully be fixed in a future update. Edwin do you have any idea how far off a future update is? Thanks.

Yes as BioShock PC does not allow custom set up for pads (they are hard coded) we had to manually add support for every pad specifically when we made the Mac version. The wireless pad has a different USB ID to the wired one, in the next patch we will add in support for the Wireless version.

Edwin

mdr5014

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
This might be a dumb question but is there anyway to get the logitech dual action gamepad to work with Bioshock?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
This might be a dumb question but is there anyway to get the logitech dual action gamepad to work with Bioshock?

Not right now, the original PC game was designed to work with only 360 pads, we added a few pads to the Mac version on release (Rumble Pad 2 and MadCatz), by popular demand the Logitech Dual Action will be added to the list in the next patch. :)

Edwin

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Tattiebogle Driver - replacing v.09 w/ v.08

Thanks to ESSEM and others who weighed in on this, and sorry it took me so long to see this posting; however, I'm having a problem w/ editing the " ... info.plist" file. I can make the changes ok, but I'm not able to save the changed .plist file - I receive the message "...this file is read only ...". I checked the file in "get info" and saw that it was "read only"; however, I was unable to change this since the options are grayed out and don't allow any changes.
What now :confused: :confused:

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
There's usually a lock symbol at the bottom of the info window you have to click and enter your password to unlock, letting you change file permissions.

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Tattiebogle Driver - replacing v.09 w/ v.08

Thanks deadwulfe, but I tried it, and it didn't even ask for my password (I know I have A/Privileges because I've edited user files before). A strange occurrence though - I copied the info.plist file from the .pkg file to the desktop and was able to edit it there. Of course I couldn't replace the corrected one for the original since I don't have "permissions" to change or even delete the original .plist file.

mdr5014

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Not right now, the original PC game was designed to work with only 360 pads, we added a few pads to the Mac version on release (Rumble Pad 2 and MadCatz), by popular demand the Logitech Dual Action will be added to the list in the next patch. :)

Edwin

Oh cool, thanks for the reply! Would you know the ETA on that next patch?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Oh cool, thanks for the reply! Would you know the ETA on that next patch?

No exact dates right now but we are compiling the list of new pads we want to get supported along with a few other improvements.

Edwin

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
No Luck Editing info.plist file for tattiebogle driver

I'm having a problem w/ editing the " ... info.plist" file. I can make the changes ok, but I'm not able to save the changed .plist file - I receive the message "...this file is read only ...". I checked the file in "get info" and saw that it was "read only"; however, I was unable to change this since the options are grayed out and don't allow any changes. I AM the administrator, and I have no trouble changing the permissions in other files, but not .plist files. I can even edit the ... 360controller.info file
What could be causing this??? :eek:

Reynoldo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
Found Fix

Ok I was having the same problem as many I installed version 0.9 of Tattiebogle then tried to remove it to install version 0.8 to get it to work with Bioshock. I could remove the correct files to disable 0.9 but when I tried to install 0.8 it told me it could not be done as a previous version already existed. So I found this version on another site that fixed the install instantly and I can confirm that it works perfect as Ive been playing Bioshock till all hours lately :eek:. Im on Snowleopard by the way. Heres the instructions:

1. Disconnect all Xbox 360 controllers and wireless receivers.
2. Download the zip file containing the script and the disk image from http://rapidshare.com/files/274924283/360ControllerInstall.zip
3. Extract the zip file somewhere.
4. Open a Terminal and run some commands:
cd /replace/this/with/the/path/to/contents/of/extracted/zip/file/ #this path probably is Downloads/360ControllerInstall
sudo sh 360ControllerInstall.sh
5. Type your administrator password when it asks you for it.
6. Wait for the installer to complete and then wait another three minutes.
7. Connect an Xbox 360 controller.
8. Open the "Xbox 360 Controllers" preference pane in System Preferences and verify that the controller(s) is(/are) recognized.

Hope this solves it for ye also heres the link:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2134285&start=0&tstart=0

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks Reynaldo, bet...

I'm a newbie with Apple code (pretty good with Basic, but now I'm a Mac guy). I got as far as the Zip file (which self-executed), but I'm unsure how to proceed with the terminal commands.
Could you be more specific? I would really appreciate your being overly-pedantic on the instructions.:eek:

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Editing Tattiebogle driver v.08 to Overwrite v.09

I discovered a workaround for anyone having the same editing problem I previously had.
In order to get Bioshock to work with the XBox controller for my iMac, I followed the previous thread; however, when I tried to edit and SAVE the respective edited files (in the 360ControllerInstall.pkg file), I was told that the VOLUME was write only. I couldn't even edit a copy of the Info.plist file, e.g. because "permissions" wouldn't let me write over the original.
WORKAROUND: Copy the entire 360ControllerInstall.pkg file to the desktop (this obviously puts the "contents"into a "read/write" volume. I then edited and saved the files to the .pkg file on the Desktop, and then ran the .pkg file on my desktop (rather than the original I had downloaded.
Now BioShock allows me to choose the XBox 360 Controller to play the game rather than just the keyboard.:):D

Hoof Hearted

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
No exact dates right now but we are compiling the list of new pads we want to get supported along with a few other improvements.

Edwin

Hi Edwin

Thanks for the "heads up".

I'm waiting for for my Logictech Dual Action to be added. I note you say that this is on the cards. Yay!! Ok, so I will have to wait but I don't mind waiting so much.

My version of Bioshock is 1.0.1. My MacOS is 10.6.3. I also have several Sixaxis controllers for my PS3.

Whilst I wait for the next Bioshock update I think that I will investigate the earlier post here about pairing one of my Sixaxis controllers with TRA on my iMac just for the practice notwithstanding my Logitech DualShock via USB has been working perfectly with Lara C. I had no idea that support for my Dual Shock had now been built in to Mac OS until I read this thread.

I'm glad I found this thread and have now registered with this forum.

My thanks go to Feral for all their great games. All the Mac versions of Tomb Raider I have had for years. I also have the TR games for the PS3 and more recently two TR games for the PS2 because they also work on my PS3.

Please - please - please keep bringing out Mac games!

The Mac truly is a great games platform - despite what Ubisoft thinks. In my opinion, the Mac is just as much a games machine as any other of the electronic abacuses around today. They (Ubisoft) either can't be bothered, or have some other incentive to not produce games for the Mac. By which I suspect that Microshaft own a lot of their shares maybe. They seem to ignore the fact that Halo originated on the Mac.

But I digress.

I look forward with anticipation to using my LogiTech Dual Action 'pad' with Bioshock in the not too distant future I hope.

kanketsu

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Does downgrading to 0.08 guarantee that the controller will work?

My driver is 0.08, but the controller is not recognized by Bioshock (1.0.0).

Running 10.6.2.

apraetor

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
How to get GamePads working in 10.6.3

OK, I figured out what to do to get them working. My instructions are for Mad Catz pads, but you can probably use them to set up most gamepads.

Lemme know if you have questions.

musicalman08

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
so after reading all of this I am not sure what to do. i just bought a wired 360 controller with the hopes that I would be able to use it for my small collection of mac games. I downloaded the driver but I am unable to use it for any of the two games i tried (star wars Force unleashed and Bioshock). any suggestions? the controller works fine and responds to the driver i installed but still it wont respond when trying to use it for games. I am new to this please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.