Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

posnera

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
I just started playing on a rMBP 13, 2.4GHz i5, 8GB ram, Intel Iris 1024 graphics. I can't select a resolution higher than 1024/768. Is this the max I should expect? It looks fine, I'm just wondering if there are settings I could be adjusting.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I just started playing on a rMBP 13, 2.4GHz i5, 8GB ram, Intel Iris 1024 graphics. I can't select a resolution higher than 1024/768. Is this the max I should expect? It looks fine, I'm just wondering if there are settings I could be adjusting.

I am not sure but I know the Intel Iris isn't a dedicated graphics card so it cannot support the highest settings and is weaker than most dedicated cards even dedicated cards on Mac's a few years old.

Edwin

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx

I am not sure but I know the Intel Iris isn't a dedicated graphics card so it cannot support the highest settings and is weaker than most dedicated cards even dedicated cards on Mac's a few years old.

Edwin

Yes that is the highest resolution for your machine currently, and Edwin is correct on the Iris. The game detects hardware and sets limits on those settings based on that hardware. For the Iris, anything above that just tanks. Some playthrough is acceptable, but during firefights its really bad, so we limited to 1024x768. As you pointed out, it still looks pretty dang good on a 13" screen.

You can of course edit that setting (as many have pointed out on this thread), but whether you determine those higher resolutions as "playable" is up to you.

bradn

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
Hello good people of this thread.

I purchased (via Steam) and started playing Bioshock Infinite late last year, but after finding this thread and seeing Blair's promise of graphical improvements coming soon, I put BI on hold and went back and wasted time in Skyrim via bootcamp again.

Now I'm back, and a thorough skim of the new posts has told me that an update was released and higher resolutions are now available. Why am I not seeing the update or the higher options for graphics?

I'm using a 2012 rMBP, maxed out.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Hello good people of this thread.

I purchased (via Steam) and started playing Bioshock Infinite late last year, but after finding this thread and seeing Blair's promise of graphical improvements coming soon, I put BI on hold and went back and wasted time in Skyrim via bootcamp again.

Now I'm back, and a thorough skim of the new posts has told me that an update was released and higher resolutions are now available. Why am I not seeing the update or the higher options for graphics?

I'm using a 2012 rMBP, maxed out.

Resolutions are in but we are still tinkering with graphics options. Just not happy with performance yet tbh.

bradn

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
Cool, thanks. Will you announce on this thread as soon the update is released to Steam?

MrSeanR

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
It looks like a pretty substantial update was released to the app store yesterday, could this be the update we have been waiting for with higher resolution support?

The curious thing is that i didn't notice an update for my copy on Steam. Is there a delay in updates being pushed to Steam?

Blair, I also want you to know that I appreciate your hard work on the game and thank you for sharing your insights with us here on the forums.

Edit: whoops, it appears to as big as an update as I thought. Just adding the in app purchase for Burial at see.

Last edited:

Maxime.Durez

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2013
@Aspyr-Blair

It's not completely on topic but I am reading that Apple, while seeding OS X 10.9.3 betas, tells developers to focus on graphic drivers. When the final version of 10.9.3 is released, could that mean that we will notice some performance improvements while gaming?

Could it for example make higher settings possible for bioshock infinite?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
@Aspyr-Blair

It's not completely on topic but I am reading that Apple, while seeding OS X 10.9.3 betas, tells developers to focus on graphic drivers. When the final version of 10.9.3 is released, could that mean that we will notice some performance improvements while gaming?

Could it for example make higher settings possible for bioshock infinite?

Don't expect much, Apple *always* asks to focus on graphics drivers in point updates. Sometimes there is an improvement, though. It all depends on your graphics card and what Apple is updating, obviously.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Thread mining here but I have an issue where the OSX standard mouse cursor is stuck in the centre of my display the whole time the game is running. I am running the latest version on Mavericks with all updates installed, on a early 2013 rMBP15.

The game plays fine, but that cursor is just ruining it, I can't get rid of it. I have a second cursor on the screen which is the game cursor and it works but that stuck black arrow cursor with white outline from OSX is just right in the centre of your vision.

How do I get rid of this?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Thread mining here but I have an issue where the OSX standard mouse cursor is stuck in the centre of my display the whole time the game is running. I am running the latest version on Mavericks with all updates installed, on a early 2013 rMBP15.

The game plays fine, but that cursor is just ruining it, I can't get rid of it. I have a second cursor on the screen which is the game cursor and it works but that stuck black arrow cursor with white outline from OSX is just right in the centre of your vision.

How do I get rid of this?

Have you contacted Aspyr support? They would be you best resource for issues with the game. Apologies if you've already done this and are just trying other avenues too.

What mouse are you using? Does it have custom software you can try deactivating? Are you running with multiple displays? Perhaps someone who does that too might have advice if it is a potential source of such an issue. I've never seen that happen on my Mac personally.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Have you contacted Aspyr support? They would be you best resource for issues with the game. Apologies if you've already done this and are just trying other avenues too.

What mouse are you using? Does it have custom software you can try deactivating? Are you running with multiple displays? Perhaps someone who does that too might have advice if it is a potential source of such an issue. I've never seen that happen on my Mac personally.

Stock standard rMPB - doesn't matter if the mouse is plugged in or not, it's the OSX cursor that is the issue.

Contact Aspyr and sent some file to them, not sure if they'll be able to help.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Stock standard rMPB - doesn't matter if the mouse is plugged in or not, it's the OSX cursor that is the issue.

Contact Aspyr and sent some file to them, not sure if they'll be able to help.

Sorry I am unable to think of anything else to try but I hope the folks at Aspyr are able to help you fix the problem.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Sorry I am unable to think of anything else to try but I hope the folks at Aspyr are able to help you fix the problem.

FIXED:

First, try repairing your disk permissions (if you have not done so already). To do this, Open up your hard drive, open the Applications folder, go to Utilities, and launch 'Disk Utility'. Under 'First Aid', select your main hard drive volume (usually labeled 'Macintosh HD') and hit 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Once this is complete, log out of your Appstore account, reboot your Mac, and relaunch the game.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
FIXED:

First, try repairing your disk permissions (if you have not done so already). To do this, Open up your hard drive, open the Applications folder, go to Utilities, and launch 'Disk Utility'. Under 'First Aid', select your main hard drive volume (usually labeled 'Macintosh HD') and hit 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Once this is complete, log out of your Appstore account, reboot your Mac, and relaunch the game.

Wow. I never would have imagined that process to correct an issue with the pointer. Awesome. :D

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
will haswell 15inch macbook pro retina with GT750M 2gb gddr5 mid-2014 version
(rebrand of late 2013 with 0.2 ghz cpu speed bump)
play the game ?
i can play it on bootcamp on full hd and the highest setting frame rate is about 30(in firefghites) to 40 or more
with my older rmbp15 with gt650m(2012) i could play on bootcamp on 1600x900
on high/med setting

now the question
will i be able to run in on 1600x900 and on high setting in mac os x with acceptable frame rate on rmbp 2014 maxed-out?

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
what rig exactly ?
30 is acceptable but any thing below 29 is unacceptable
and...
i said high in last post i mean ultra (highest)
and highest resolution for this machine(mid-2014rmbp)
is ???
if my mac can't play the game then what man?!
it means no apple laptop can pal the game
the means f... apple or f.... aspyr which i blame apple of course...
please reply fast mate

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I've been playing this on a rMBP with the 750m. Normal at 1650 res is the max it will allow me. It's totally smooth at this setting. I really don't mind some chop. So, I think I could go higher, but there seems to be no easy way to do this. I think people should be allowed to choose their own settings!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.