Birmingham Apple Store

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by abrooks, Apr 8, 2005.

1. abrooks macrumors 6502a

So as most people know a new store is due to open in April 9th in Birmingham (UK), the problem is I have very little proof of it actually opening on that date and too be honest I'm going to be very pissed off if I go and it doesn't open and even more pissed off if I don't go and it does open.

Ifoapplestore says April 9th and I phoned the Bullring and they say its likely but I phoned Apple and they said they don't know, but they do know its been delayed a few times.

Is anybody going or does anybody have good evidence?

2. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I very much doubt it will open on April 9th. Apple has always announced new strore openings on their retail page at least a week before the even. There is no mention of a store opening there now. Looks like it's going to be a bit longer.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Bullring webcam (here) still shows black plywood over the Apple entrance so I'd say it's highly unlikely to be opening any time soon.

Apple like to create a buzz about their store openings - it ain't opening tomorrow.

4. john_satc macrumors 6502

Well I am off now to go see (and spend all my money if its open) and then to work :)

5. john_satc macrumors 6502

Well if you look closley -
    1) Its dark - its 10.45 in the morning and according to that picture its pitch black and I am looking out my window less that a mile from the bull ring and its a lovley sunny day
    2)the writing at the top of the picture says it was taken on the 8thApril(yesterday) at about 10pm -so it has not been updated since then. leads me to thinking - maybe they stopped the cam so they could remove all the boards and build up the entrance over night

I dunno, you are probably right that it won't open today but still gonna get excited :D

6. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Here is the Bullring's website - they mention the Apple Computers as being there, but know further details.

Click here

7. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I too am in the Birmingham area (Wolverhampton). If it were opening today, we'd know about it from Apple - it'd be on the website for starters.

I've read a thread on the ifo Apple Store forum where someone claims that they spoke to someone high up in the management at the Bull Ring, and they said it will be open by the end of April. It seems to have been in the making for months, so it's about time.

8. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I would certainly like to know myself. Wish the web cam was working.

9. john_satc macrumors 6502

Well I went in today and it was not open :(
    Dissapointment definatley, but, if it does open the end of this month it means possibly Tiger and new iMacs will be out by then *fingers crossed* so 10% off them opening day??

10. abrooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm back from Birmingham, had a really good day but as you've all gathered it was closed, but not too disappointed, the Bullring is great and I had a good time all round.

11. john_satc macrumors 6502

well welcome to b'ham glad ya liked it.

it was shame the store didnt open but will soon - u can try selfridges for apple store - but they didnt have ipod socks in stock which i was going to get today to make my self a little happier :)

*I feel like a little representative of B'ham - so special :D *

12. itchster macrumors member

heh heh another brummie here.

The rumors i hear about the Apple Store Bham point to a end of april/early may opening

13. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

If any of us are planning to go for the opening, we'll have to have a little MR meetup to make the queue a little more tolerable. :)

14. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

Well, im a Coventryite when im at uni so I will be doing my best to lay claim to your Apple Store! Trips to Birmingham for the opening and at the weekends methinks!
    :D

15. twilson macrumors 6502

Don't think it's opening today!

The 11th April was another date I'd heard banded around.

The pic below was taken at 8:25ish 11/05, and I don't think it'll be open today.

Attached Files:

16. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Man, is that next to H+M :eek: ... Bleugh!! ;)

17. twilson macrumors 6502

Sadly, you are correct. But I don't think there was anywhere else to put it. Shame really! Could be worse, it could be next to Dixons XL or one of those sad PC loving stores.

18. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

What's wrong with H+M? I find they have a nice big range, good prices, subtle styles rather than in your face fashion. Plus their clothes fit nicely.

On a side note...
    You know that there is already a KRCS Applecentre (reseller) in Birmingham, it's in the Pallasades centre.

19. twilson macrumors 6502

Yeah, but come on, the reseller isn't an Apple Store, that's the main point. It doesn't have the finesse and overall look that Apple goes for.

I've just been and checked in my lunch hour and it definitely ain't open! :(

20. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I'm slightly biased because I work for KRCS :) You're right in saying Apple Stores are impressive, they like to get 10 of everything on display and nicely presented. My point was that the resellers often stock just as many items and accessories and are just as knowledgeable and as helpful as Apple Store employees.

I'll probably have a nosey round when it opens I'd be curious to see what it's like.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Is that necessarily a bad thing? You blokes can leave your girlfriends happily wandering round H&M (tho must say I wouldn't be happy) while you go wander round the Apple store... ;)

What I like about the Apple Store is being able to sit in the theatre, plug the Powerbook in and check Macrumors while waiting for other friends in the area - like I'm doing now! :)

22. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Go and sneak in the stock room! Go on you know you want to! I think you might see a Tiger in there waiting to be unleashed.

23. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Doesn't work, in fact she is more than happy to find any excuse to go to Apple ... my lass is borderline estatic walking round with a doe-eyed look that just screams 'must have that' whenever we even go near the Regent street store .... Now THAT is a classy location! :cool:

24. john_satc macrumors 6502

wow...we have a KRCS person here! well if you workin the birm store, I am the really anoying kid that comes in every week and asks about things but never buys anything - apart from my mouse/bluetooth/keyboard deal ! :D

25. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

At least you bought something! The annoying thing is when people come in and talk to you for hours about Apple and their latest mac and you spend lots of time helping them, then they come back a week later for help with a brand new iMac they bought off Apple.com !

Nope I don't work at the Birmingham branch. It's quite a nice store there though.