Birthday Boy left overnight at Chuck E. Cheese

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by floriflee, Jun 7, 2006.

1. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It's like something out of one of the many Home Alones--without having to set up booby traps.

Talk about the importance of teaching your child emergency info (phone number, address, parents' names, etc.)

Linky

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My 2 1/2 year old knows his whole name, and Mommy and Daddy's *big name*

But that's just sad that they all thought someone else was taking care of him. You can't make any assumptions about kids....

Bleh,

D

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ahhh.... Chuck E Cheese....

I used to love that place when I was a little american-sounding kiddo. "Mommie can weee goo to Chuck. Eeee Cheeeesee???"

Poor little tyke, must've just been a total nightmare for some very stressed out parents. It happens though, my Dad was left behind at Taronga Zoo on his birthday when he was about the same age.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is that why we haven't heard from emw for a few hours now? :p

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I can see how this happens particularly if the kids are used to being allowed to sleepover at granny's or in an extended family at various homes on special occasions.

The little kids think he's getting to go with with the big kids since its his birthday and the people with the big kids assume he's doing the usual; particularly likely since his particular mother was chauffering rather than being with the little 'uns to recognise he wouldn't be with the others.

Poor kid... rotten way to finish a birthday. It does sound like a genuine accident with no real negligence so I hope they don't throw the book at the mother.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

LOL!!!

*falls down laughing* :D

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I can not believe that the mom forgot her child at Chuck E. Cheese- poor kid, that had to be terrifying to be left all alone in a strange environment.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh, I can. Many parents treat their kids as obligations. :rolleyes:

And remember kids, it's the homos that are destroying families. :rolleyes:

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sadly, you have a point. :(

Another terrible distortion of reality, but I guess I should save my rant on this subject for another thread. :eek: :)

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was once left at the mall, and now I've grown up to become like this.....this....monster!

11. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

I can completely see how this could happen. I got left/lost plenty of places when I was a little kid because of my propensity to wander off. I even got left at a gas station in Germany once because I wandered out of the car while they were filling up (or something like that). I caused my parents a lot of grief in that regard, and ultimately forced them to invest in a child harness to keep me in tow.

In any case, when there are that many adults/kids/cars involved it's all the more important to do a head count just before you leave. Poor kid.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Overnight?

13. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

What's Chuck E. Cheese? A burger place or something? I've heard it spoken about in movies/tv shows but never quite figured it out. :eek:

14. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'm sorry butthere is no excuse for this to happen...it was the kid's birthday so you would imagine that would spark the kids parents to remember him that much more, let alone he is their son!

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually, I know you're just being funny, but for the record, two sets of the best parents that I've ever seen (even better than my own) are two gay couples. There are 3 kids between them. The kids are well educated, well taken care of, and more importantly loved like no other.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

It's where I will go if there is a hell.

Tousands of kids.

Pizza.

Video games.

17. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I agree, not enough communication is not an excuse, it is so important when dealing with a large group of kids to not assume things.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Ugh. Sounds repulsive.

19. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Never overnight. The Germany thing they noticed 15-30 mins into the trip (we were driving all throughout northern Europe in a yellow VW Bus) and that freaked them out to no end--that's when they got the child harness for both me and my poor undeserving younger sister.

The most I ever got left behind was probably 2-3 hours when my mom forgot to pick me up from band practice one early Saturday afternoon in fifth grade. I'm sure my director wondered about my parents after having to wait for so long (building was locked and this was the pre-cell phone era), but it was an honest mistake. I know she felt terrible for forgetting. Heaven knows how many times I've lost track of time and forgotten things. I can only imagine how much harder it is to remember when you have four children to keep track of (don't know how your parents did eight :eek: ).

I don't mean to completely justify the parents' most-likely unintentional irresponsibility, but I can see how it can happen--especially if it really was like the scenario AppleSpider mentioned. The one thing I definitely am perturbed about is the fact that the boy didn't know any of his emergency information. It is unacceptable to have a six year old boy still not know his phone number, address and parents' names.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My idea of hell is a cruise. I can't think of anything worse than being stuck on some boat in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of people who are happy to be stuck on a boat in the middle of nowhere.

I'd be begging for Chuck E Cheese by the end of a cruise.

21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Okay...here's the thing I don't understand. They loaded the kids in the vans and then the adults talked in the parking lot for a "half hour"???? How many kids do you know that wouldn't be climbing the walls after being left in a car? Especially in Miami, Florida where the temperatures can get a wee bit toasty?

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Correction - horribly bad pizza and worse games. Or so I remember; the last time I went was 24 years ago.

You also forgot to mention the big mechanical critters up on the stage in the dining room that jiggle about to music and give small children nightmares (if do they still do that) ;)

23. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

No way... cruises are awesome. Free food anytime you want. Drinks, sun and relaxation. Went on one in March and I had a great time.

24. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

LOL! I don't remember much from my one experience at Chuck E. Cheese, but I DO remember those creatures! :eek:

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Really! :eek: I love going on cruises. :)