Birthday Present Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Felldownthewell, May 3, 2006.

1. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Hey,

My Uncle is a graphic designer for a living, but he is rather poor. We are getting him a computer for his birthday, and I need some adive as to what to get for him. The whole family is contributing, but the top range is $600. I ask because I know what the options are (either a refurb G4 Mini or a cheap PC), but I am wondering how well photoshop and other pro-apps run on a mini. He has his pro-apps (I am not sure which ones) on his ancient mac, so I think it might be a better idea to stick with mac other than having to re-buy the software for PC, even though the computing power may take a hit.
    As I mentioned, his current computer is ancient, so I imagine anything new would seem fast to him, but advice is needed.

Thanks for your help.

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

This is one of my rare instances in which I'd recommend getting a cheap PC. My sister has a G4 Mini...it won't run Photoshop well (it hardly runs iLife apps very well sometimes...:rolleyes: )

So yeah...you'll get a lot more bang for your buck with a Dell. I mean, do you need to get him a new monitor and stuff? Remember, the Mini doesn't come with any of that stuff (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc...)

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You really don't want the gift to turn into a white elephant, which seems to be a likely outcome no matter what you do.

If you give a cheap PC - which I agree is undoubtedly going to be vastly faster for the price - then you risk forcing him to buy new software, which he can't afford.

If you give the mini, then you risk forcing him to buy more RAM, which he likely can't afford.

I'd try to determine if there is any way you can give him a $600 computer of any type without making him spend even more money of his own. If not, maybe a different gift would be a better idea.

I think you've got great intentions! I'd just make sure the gift was appreciated - which I'm sure it would be - but not an added burden as well.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Does he run OSX on his old mac? I ask because if he doesn't, there would be a lot of money in upgraded software that the new mac would cost him.

And if you got him a PC, he wouldn't be able to use his current apps.

5. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Thanks for all the responses...I realize the downfall of the mini is its high(relative) price and the fact that it dosen't come with a monitor/keyboard, I was just hoping to keep it within the mac family.
    I have to find out exactly what programs he is using and whether is he is using OS 9 or OS X (or possibly an even older OS, his computer may be that old). when I have more info I post it here. I consider myself knowledgeable about computers but I really value macrumors opinions... Thanks again!