Bit disappointed about no new 15.4" powerbook. Oh well...

Discussion in 'Community' started by GeneR, Jun 23, 2003.

1. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Anybody have any thoughts about when they may become available? It was interesting how this glaringly obvious matter seemed to be completely avoided at WWDC.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I've heard tha the powerbooks will be updated tommorow. (dont remember where from though)

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

and if not tommorrow, probably by the NY expo next month

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i would guess starting with today till macworld. they are already overdue, cant be too much longer, i hope. because i have two friends ready to pimp themselves out with 2 powerbooks.

iJon

5. TPistrix macrumors newbie

Was anybody as miffed as i was when Jobs was saying what a great year this was: "We came out with these really great products, a 12" pro laptop blah blah, and a 17" laptop blah blah... pause... and then we had Safari"... I was totally waiting for some kind of announcement on the 15.4"... sigh... I'm hoping tomorrow but I'm thinking Macworld... Oh and people should stop saying how awesome Macworld is going to be... There won't be all those huge announcements and breakthroughs... WWDC was amazing because Apple moved all their big 2003 summer announcements to WWDC, not because MW is going to be even greater.

6. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think that the G5 PowerBooks will be unveiled at MWNY here in less than a month. They are definitley overdue for updates.

7. PowerBook User macrumors regular

I thought the same thing! Oh well. We should have an update soon. It is amazing how well Apple has done this past year with new products, though. As Steve noted, we're only halfway though the year!

8. oomega1 macrumors member

damn it, he got our hopes up and shot us down at point blank =/, i did the same exact thing.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ya know, there are a few "to be announced" time slots at WWDC and I'm wondering if these might be additional announcements. I know, I know, it seems crazy cuz everyone is screaming for PBs so why wouldn't Steve announce it himself? Anyway, it's not over til it's over and if the G5 tower had nine fans then I can only imagine that the laptop would need some serious cooling as well. They will arrive and I can't afford one til oct-nov but I would prefer to wait a few months after they come out anyway.

10. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hmmm. I'm doubtful....

I would think the fact that they still have time slots at WWDC wouldn't really mean much. On one hand, wouldn't it reflect badly on Apple to bring out the powerbooks AFTER the keynote? It may brustle people the wrong way, leaving the lingering question, "WTF? Why kind of game is Apple pulling here? Why didn't they bring this stuff out in the keynote?" in the hearts and minds of the developers in attendance.

Additionally, I was thinking that a good P.R. campaign is built upon creating strong hype but also finishing strong. I think the Powermac G5 was their strong ending. If they did introduce a G5 Powerbook, wouldn't that end Apple's presentation at the WWDC with a weak statement? Instead of finishing with a definite plan to bolster confidence, they would be doing exactly the opposite.

Anyway, still bummed about the 15.4. However, I can wait, I suppose.

Does anyone know about how a G5 compares in tests against the G4?

I would love to see what was possible when comparing the G4 with the G5 using Final Cut Pro. And to boot, using Panther's Pixlet. I'm figuring it will be pretty amazing what can be done on FCP 4.

11. cubist macrumors 68020

Re: Hmmm. I'm doubtful....

Exactly so. And, while it's possible that Steve Joswiak (?) will announce new 15" powerbooks at MWNY, I wouldn't consider it likely, because the G5s aren't shipping until August.

Another point about the 15" powerbooks: The G5s don't exactly compete with anything else in Apple's line, because they chopped the prices of the existing PM G4s to fit under them. But a refreshed PowerBook will instantly obsolete stacks of existing machines. We don't know how big those stacks are, but I'm afraid we've got to wait for them to dwindle.

12. Greencardman macrumors 6502

*sigh*

Ok, a new Powerbook G5 was what I was hoping to get before I went back to college, but it doesn't look like its going to happen soon. A yahoo news article quote:
    "Motorola is huge for us," said Joswiak. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, but IBM is the one that can take us to the next level."
    link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...tc_mc/applestepsintothefuturewithpantherandg5

So while a new laptop may be coming, sadly, it seems a G5 one is a ways off. So what should the verdict be, buy a new G4 and have that as my laptop for the next 5 years, or wait and get a G5 a year from now? what to do, what to do... :)

13. oomega1 macrumors member

wow good job apple. i guess its getting a very small update....

Motorola is huge for us," said Joswiak. "Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] IS NOT going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, But IBM is the one that can take us to the next level."

Seeing how it will go nowhere, everyone of us just waited for nothing.IBM is the one that can take us to the next leve