Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Hi all.

As I am trying to save space on my iPods I want to convert all my downloaded music to 128 kbps. Many of my downloaded albums have bit rates of over 250 kbps.

I was hoping someone could suggest an easy to use (and free) bit rate converter for mac. Preferably one that I just add the album, select 128 kbps and away it goes.....if one like that exists.

Thanks in advance.

Kevzy.

kevzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
You could use … iTunes.

I am aware that in itunes' advanced preferences I can set the bit rate when importing music from a CD. My problem is when I download music, usually in mp3 format and add it to itunes it is in a higher bit rate than 128 kbps. Are you saying I can use itunes to change this aswell? If so, please explain.

DLH

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
... Are you saying I can use itunes to change this aswell? If so, please explain.

Yes, you can convert with iTunes.

Once the songs are in iTunes, select the ones you want to convert and go to the Advanced menu and select "Convert to (MP3/AAC/etc.)". The song files will be duplicated and converted to the format/ data rate you have set in Preferences | Advanced | Importing.

You will then have two copies of the songs in iTunes: the original high bitrate one and the new lower rate one.

You may want to show the Bit Rate column in iTunes to easily distinguish between them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.