Bit Torrent a Router and OSX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MonsterZero, Mar 28, 2005.

1. MonsterZero macrumors member

So Im on a router now and I've noticed my DL speeds are slower, as fas I can tell its has to do with my router acting as a firewall....any help in fixing it so more ports are opened would be great...

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, depending on which router you have, which is? You can forward or do a port trigger so that information coming over those port flow freely. You open your browser, type in 192.168.1.1, or whatever the router's manual tell you to, then navigate to the port forward or port trigger area, and forward the correct port.

3. AlephNull macrumors member

I encountered this problem just a few days ago and this is how I solved it: (I have a Linksys WRT54G router, yours will probably be different)
    I accessed the web interface for the router (1.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever), I went to "Applications and Gaming," which is just where you change Port Forwarding settings.
    You have to make ports 6881-6889 forward through the router to the local ip address of your computer. (Mine was 1.1.1.2)
    You should also allow these ports to get through the Mac firewall. Go to system preferences-->Sharing-->Firewall--->New--->Then put in 6881-6889 in the range box and a name to familiarize yourself with it.

This worked for me :)