Bit Torrent On the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Steven1621, May 17, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i use bit torrent to trade live concerts. i cannot get it configured to work on my mac. anyone know what i should be doing?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

give tomato torrent a try. i like it much better and mas many more options. you can find it on versiontracker.com

iJon

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i use azureus. and there is nothing to configure in it. so you can check that out too..

cheers

4. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Would you say that these are better than "Direct Connect"?

~e

5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Direct Connect and Bit Torrent are just different things. Depending on where you have a better hook up (aka knowing people who will let you into good hub/ people who can give you good BT links) will decide on which software you should use.

BEN

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Although the "official" Bittorrent client for the Mac is extremely simple, Azureus just seems to work much better, and that's what I use, too.

It's worth noting that if you have your firewall turned on, you need to open the connection ports manually, or you'll get miserable speeds.

7. riceforlife macrumors newbie

It depends what host servers you can connect to on DC. If you are lucky enough to be in a big university connected to the Internet2 backbone, check out i2hub. I won't say anymore, for fear of incurring admin wrath, but suffice to say look out for it.

Bittorrent, in my opinion, can be very hit or miss when it comes to finding things. You need to hope what you're looking for is popular enough for someone to 'seed' the file for the duration of your download. Needless to say, this does not make for very reliable downloading.

8. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

If you got a moment. I just downloaded "azureus". NOW what do I do?<LOL> This is my first time using it, how do I search for files? Does it work like "Direct Connect", which I'm familar? Any help, thanks!

~e

9. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Basically.....You have to find your own files and then Azureus will take care of the rest for you...Good luck...

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

goto suprnova.org, you would get a list of various files there. right click on the link and save it on your desktop. you would get a small .torrent file, then open that file in azureus, it would start downloading.
    there are many other sites like suprnova.

cheers

11. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

For example? What's 1 or 2 of your favorites?
    :confused:

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i think you have to open some specific ports for BT to work correctly. just read the readme that comes with whatever client you use. ;)

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Nobody has said think, i think, but the BT ports are 6881-6889 TCP

14. TBR macrumors 6502

The offical client has been updated and seems nicer to use, I've always used the offical client and never had any problems in over a year.

15. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

my favorites are suprnova and mactorrentskickass..

cheers

16. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

so basically, you have to go to a site that has .torrent files and then you can download them from the site?

So, for those who used Direct Connect. Would the site "supernova.org" be the HUB and then I would search within that site for the file I'm looking for? If so, how do you get a listing of BT sites?

Just trying to clarify it a bit.

~e

17. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

No, suprnova is not a hub. hub based sharing, and torrent protocol are different. With torrents, you download a .torrent file from sites such as suprnova. these .torrent files contain info as to which users have this file and are downloading the file. so then when you open this torrent file with azureus, it automatically starts downloading the file based on the info in the .torrent file..also it continues contacting suprnova, for the latest update as to who has the file..
    the advantage of torrents over hub based system is , when u start downloading the file, u also start uploading whatever u hv downloaded..so the more users , or peers as they are called, you have, the more is the downloading speed. also, the chunks are not downloaded in order, they are assembled aftr u complete the download.., so its generally very fast..
    hope it clarifies some things

cheers

18. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Two quick questions

Why is bitorrent so darn slow. i have a one meg connection an never see it download more than 10 or 11mb per second.

and secondly why does it upload from my hard drive at a rate of at least 25mb per second, without actually letting me knwo what its uploading or giving it permission to upload anything

i really think this is the worst peer to peer client out there. it just seems well dodgy to me

jay

19. TBR macrumors 6502

In answer to question one, your downloading a slow torrent. If you want faster downloads you have to download more popular files. (or play with your settings)

In answer to question 2 the upload is the file that your currently downloading, the nature of bittorrent is that as soon as you have download a part of the file that part is then shared with everyone else so that you end up downloading the file in multiple parts from multiple people.

If you don't want your upload bandwidth to be so much decrease the number of people you can share with and the upload rate.

20. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

ok now im not so worried about the uploads. but the download still baffles me. the files ive downloaded are popular files, i wont go into detail. but lets just say one file in particular was extremely popular!!

could it be the bitorent client i'm using? its just called bitorrent nad has a picture of a waterfall on it

jay

21. TBR macrumors 6502

well there may be lots of people trying to get the file but if the original seeder is slow then the whole file may not be in circulation.

for example

Say I had a 1gig file and had shared (uploaded) 600 meg of it so far and there are 1000 people trying to get the file, they will all be downloading parts of that 600 meg so there may be lots of people but you may have hit a wall where the uploads are only trickling in. (i'm guessing this bit)

I'm using the safe software as you and if you click the unlabeled button in the top right of the window you will have more options. At the moment i'm guessing that you have it on 0 and 7 witch will mean that your uploading as much as possible if you want to download faster then you can set the 0 to 2 and that will limit your upload rate to 2k a second. This isn't really that nice and kind of goes against the point of the whole sharing method of bittorrent. If you do do this then make sure that you keep your window open for as long as possible after finishing downloading the file to make up for it.

Oh I noticed your in the UK like myself, in that case leave the downloads running over night. I don't know why but when I'm asleep the files download Super quick. (Might be something to do with america wakeing up etc, more people sharing)

22. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Possible causes for bad speeds:

1. You are uploading at such speed you are leaving little bandwidth to request packets (leaving 5% of your upload should be enough to request the packets).
    2. Ports 6881-6889 blocked.
    3. Seeder(s) have slow uplink.

23. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

thanks for the advice guys. i'm going to give it a try, and hope that sdsl makes it way across the uk soon instead of being indigenous to london and the midlands

jay

24. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

right i've been using the bittorrent thing, and its still not that good. i use suprnova.org to find the files, but everything is so darn slow. i have a file that is connected to 36 peers, but it only downloads at less than 2mb per second and constantly drops to below 0.3mbps.

there are some great files on there, its just its the slowest p2p client i've ever come across. its ridiculously slow.

jay

25. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

I assume 2mb/s is more than 2KiB/s and 2B/s is just minute. (That's a question) I get from 2b/s to 100kiB/s. My average on a file connected to 36 peers is about 40KiB/s. However, when I downloaded one particularly popular item dl'ed by over 1000 people, i only averaged about 1KiB/s...that seemed weird.

Anyway, that's just to share my own experience with rates. If my calculations are right, your rate is much better than mine! I use the "official" program and it works nicely otherwise.