Bit Torrent Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apexdesign, Sep 9, 2004.

1. apexdesign macrumors newbie

Iam having trouble opening up Bittorrent for macosx, when click on the app, it just quits again.

Any Help

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What version of OS X are you using? What version of StuffIt Expander are you using to extract the bittorrent client? What BitTorrent Client are you using?

3. apexdesign thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Iam on Mac osx 10.2 using stuffit expander version 8.0 and current version of bittorrent 3.4.2

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's your problem. StuffIt 8.0 often doesn't decompress properly (I think it doesn't mark executables). Upgrade to the latest version and try again.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I think its a problem with 10.2. The version of Perl in 10.2.8 is different than in 10.3.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Although I'd also guess Stuffit is your problem (I don't think the Mac BT client is written in Perl, and I'm pretty sure I used that version under 10.2 anyway), I'd recommend downloading Azureus and giving it a try if you don't have a dual processor Mac.

Azureus is more complicated to figure out how to use, and is a Java application, but has WAY more features, and in my experience works much better than the "official" BitTorrent client. Not that bad, anyway.

If, however, you have a Mac with two processors (G4 or G5) then you DON'T want to use Azureus unless you need its features--there's a bug in Apple's Java that causes crashes after a while with some Java apps that do a lot of networking, which is exactly what Azureus does.

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

The dual problem in Azureus has been fixed in the latest version (or at least has for me).

8. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I had the same thing. It seemed to work well from the original DMG, but not once it was launched off the harddrive.

Try using Tomato Torrent instead.