Bit Torrent share ratios?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d wade, Jul 12, 2006.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

what is a good share ratio for bit torrent? i just read that the higher the ratio, the higher up you are on a priority list for faster download speeds.

is this true?

transmission says mine is 1.81 -- is that good or bad?

post your ratios as well

2. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

"share ratio", a number relating the amount of data uploaded to the amount downloaded. A share ratio of 1.0 means that a user has uploaded as much data as they have downloaded. A share ratio greater than 1 means that a user has uploaded more than they have downloaded. It is generally considered good form to at least share back the equivalent amount of traffic as the original file size.

3. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yes.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Honestly, as we usually pass these files around in large clusters, if you are giving 50% back, you are making a big contribution. I often do share 100% back, but you shouldn't feel as if you aren't paying back if you are only returning even 10 or 15%.

6. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I always try to share atleast 100% back, sometimes my isp gets stupid and it would take 2 days to share 100% back. Then and only then i got share 100%.

8. belfast-biker macrumors member

1.81 is pretty good. Mine is usually .5.... my upload bndwidth is naff compared to my download.

That#s on my PC and Azureus.... only started using Transmision on my newish mac. Don't even know where the ratio meter is!

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I do limit the upload rate, but I try to be generous when it comes to seeding:

Picture 1.png

;)

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yeah, just to be polite if for no other reason I have my torrents set to run--no matter what--until they're a little over 1. It's nice that you can tell Azureus to stop a torrent automatically when you've reached a set share ratio, so you can most efficiently use your outgoing bandwidth.

In my case, since my upstream is nearly 10X sower than my down, if it's a healthy torrent I can easily finish a download and only have like a .2 or .3 share ratio, and it sometimes takes quite a while to make up the difference. It's only fair to wait it out, though.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

12. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

yep. transmission does the same.

13. mar2194 macrumors member

mar2194

My ratio is 3.33. I generally don't let it get below 3. Of course the longer you track your ratio, the harder it is to change.