bitrate changer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jTreu, Oct 21, 2006.

1. jTreu macrumors 6502

anyone know of a program i can use to convert the bitrate of my whole itunes library or atleast something that does it in batches? thanks.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi,

Wouldn't itunes do this for you? Sort the columns by bitrate, hilight the ones you want to change and chg within the preferences.

but, before you think about it, i have to ask why? is it for an ipod b/c from my understanding, the shuffles and nanos can automatically convert files to 128 AAC. if it's not for one of these, then i would recommend NOT changing anything. because you're going from an already compressed file format...further compression will result in a loss of quality.

just a thought for you to ponder.

cheers,
    keebler

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can change the importing bitrate (and format) in iTunes' Preferences, under the Advanced banner. From here, you can then select songs you'd like to change and then Convert Selection from the Advanced menu which will create a duplicate song with this new bitrate and file format. However, sound quality will be lost, even if you pick a bitrate that is higher than the current one. There's really not much point to this unless you need to shrink your library. :)

4. danhig123 macrumors member

Don't change your bitrate to a higher one!

You will actually further degrade the audio quality because the process of encoding is done again, and your file sizes will be bigger. Its a loose loose situation!

Danny

5. yudilks macrumors regular

6. danhig123 macrumors member

... possibly. Im dyslexic, im not entirely sure :confused: :p

Danny