bittorent beginner

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joetronic macrumors 6502

I am interested in getting involved with bittorents. What would suggest to be the best OS X client and site to look for TV shows. I have never used this before so is there any site that can explain how this works, or can you guys give me a run through. I figure I could figure it out on my own, but some input would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Exchanging info on file-sharing sites that encourage illegal activity is frowned upon here, as it could expose the administrators to some liability. So I won't be giving you any advice on where to download TV shows, especially since such sites are often monitored by the authorites and/or copyright holders.

But I can tell you that Azureus is considered the best Bittorrent client for OS X. You can find it easily via Google or on Versiontracker. The Azureus home page has information on how torrents work.

3. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will try Azureus. I will drop the subject, my apologies

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i agree, nobody will tell you where and how to get tv torrents. general questions? that's fine.. :)

i personally wouldn't recommend azureus. it's coded in java and so tends to hog the system and crash alot (imho). also, there's a hell of a lot of options, and it can be confusing if you're a newbie.

i would recommend 'tomato torrent'. do a search for it. or, the official bittorrent client..that's cool too..find it at bittorrent.com.. good luck! :)

5. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I haven't had any issues with crashing, although it does run kind of clunky. It's not exactly snappy performance-wise. It's been pretty solid and reliable.

But in hindsight you're right that it has a lot of options and settings that could easily confuse. I don't even know what some of those settings do.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You might just want to go with the Mainline client, the default BitTorrent client by the creators themselves. Then as you gain experience, going to any of the other clients such as Azureus, would give you the power and flexibility you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.